Y&R December 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I also wanted to mention regarding today's show that I liked Jack comforting Victoria/Nick about Nikki being in the hospital. He did a nice job of stepping up for them as the supportive ex-stepfather and Nikki's friend. I also liked seeing Nate actually work at the hospital and interact with other people. I liked that he got to meet Rey and talked with him, albeit briefly. I would like to see Nate interact more with other people on canvas.

I also sided more with Nick than Rey in their confrontation in the hospital. I like Rey but I can see why Nick would be irritated by him considering how much he has hounded Nick's family the past few months. And doesn't really have much evidence that they did anything (even though they are guilty of crimes)

• Members

Shauna was not that girl. It’s ridiculous.You want more? Reed and Charlie hit Nikki with the car — almost killing her — but are able to decide on a moment’s notice to get the car repaired. No appointment, no talk of needing thousands of dollars, no thoughts about ordering parts. The car is fixed in one effing afternoon.

Sorry, but I hate that sh_it.

i also hate what they’ve done to the GCAC. The big set might not be gone, but they use different a small, cramped set for those scenes today with Fen, Kyle, etc.

• Members

I continue to enjoy Fen and Ana together. I liked their scenes today in the studio. I like the dynamic they have with each other. ZT did a nice job of showing how nervous Fen was when he was about to record the song Ana had selected for him. He had doubts about her ability to produce him and I think also doubts about his own abilities, but she's was confident and did a nice job of getting through to him and having him record the song. I thought the song she picked for him was much better than the song he sung at the Jabot's Holiday party. I look forward to watching Ana/Fen interact  more together and seeing how their relationship grows and develops. I could see them falling for each other.

Also, I can understand Devon's anger when he caught them working in the studio though he did soften a little and I think he will eventually end up helping Ana become a producer. (Though for now he wants more experienced producers to handle Fen's music. ) I like that they are showing Devon/Ana work on the music part of Hamilton-Winters. 

And I don' t like how Tessa has come between Sharon and Mariah. I think that Sharon and Mariah have developed a great relationship and I hope they will work things out with each other. And it was nice seeing one of Victoria's small children again. I liked seeing Billy help Johnny practice singing for his Christmas pageant. I could see Victoria/Billy make their way back to each other, (with also Victoria mixing it up with Cane). 

• Members

I think he may have just have been trying to get attention/ is feeling a little awkward because Reed is back home. Today Victoria mentioned that he was refusing to sing in the Christmas pageant and said she said she thinks he may be trying to get more attention because Reed is back. Maybe he noticed how much attention Reed got the last time around when he got his DUI and now that's he's back, Johnny's trying to make sure he still gets attention. And him not talking as much/not really being cooperative is his way of doing that.

Him and Katie really haven't been shown much at all lately, but I have seen him and her act animated before. When JT was still alive and came back this last time around , Johnny/Katie were shown running around and talking to Victor. As well as talking to Victoria when she told them "JT had to go away" after their relationship ended this time around.

• Members

I can barely handle watching individual episodes because the sets are so claustrophobically small. Even Crimson Lights looks like they shrank it again. The layout of Sharon’s house makes no sense, not to mention that a person of size would not be able to move around the furniture.  Actors’ entrances and exits in the sets with disappeared staircases and doorways are so awkward, especially GCAC and Victoria’s house.

• Members

While Mal's writing has been hit or miss during his tenure (75% a miss due to poor pacing and gaping plot holes!), nothing comes close to the abysmal production values he's subjected us to.  The shrunken sets for the GCAC, Victoria's house, the Ashby home, the police station, and Top of the Tower are ridiculous.  Making matters even worse: the poor staging.  Yesterday's episode with Maddie entering the Ashby kitchen was appalling.  She just appeared like an apparition. The new sets (i.e., Nick's house and the Dark Horse office space) are more spacious, but the sets themselves are not aesthetically pleasing.  Overall, the lighting is so bright -- making everything look cheap and washed out.  The only set that has any depth and character is the Abbott mansion, which luckily Mal didn't strike down.  From my count, under Mal's tenure, the following sets have been struck down:

• The Newman Ranch
  • The Newman Tack House
  • The Underground
  • Newman Enterprises' Executive Reception Area
  • Victor Newman's Office
  • The Chancellor Estate
  • The Chelsea 2.0 Office Space
  • Summer Newman's Apartment
  • Paul Williams' Office
  • The Baldwin Penthouse
  • Michael Baldwin's Office
  • The Jabot Conference Room

Did I miss any...?

Obliviously, some are not necessarily needed any longer (like Chelsea's office space and Summer's apartment), but the Newman Ranch, Victor's office, and the Chancellor Estate are staples of the show.  While the modernized Newman Ranch lacked the warmth of the original set and the new Chancellor Estate set was far less opulent and lush than the house Katherine Chancellor ruled Genoa City from for decades, both still helped make the fictional town of Genoa City appear to be larger and more intricate.  Now everything feels so cramped and the characters look as if they are suffocating since virtually all happenings transpire at the diminished GCAC. 

• Members

Do we know if the missing sets (Chancellor mansion and Newman Ranch, in particular) have been permanently destroyed or if they are merely in storage? 

Aside from the set size, set decoration quality has been in consistent decline since JFP decided to make us think that Jill Foster Abbott shops at HomeGoods.

• Members

IMO they started to do wrong with the Chancellor set all the way back in 2012, when everything was downsized and looked cramped together...yes the furniture and decor was the same, but to make Katherine Chancellors house that small looking was just embarrassing...

Archived