Days: November 2018 Discussion Thread ⌛🦃🎩 ❄ ⛄

Today was more of the same. I'm starting to like the idea of Sonny 

stuck in a hellish marriage to Leo. Maybe Will will met a hot hunk.  I wonder where Vic & Maggie are? While this is going on in their living room. All of FS angry faces are a riot. Sonny in his Mob look would've made it even campier. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that Sonny came across as understandably angry with Leo. I have been enjoying his interaction with Leo and think that they have an interesting dynamic. Will's/Chandler's reaction is the one that I think needs work. He didn't seem to have much of a reaction to Leo showing up yesterday and wasn't showing a lot of effort in dealing with Leo. He was a little better in today's episode. Leo/Greg, I think that has definitely been the best of the three in these scenes and I think he is making this storyline more entertaining.

• Members

I see no dynamic between Sonny and Leo, because Freddie Smith is a rotten actor who can’t create any dynamic.

He’s especially bad at showing anger, but is also awful in the romance department, preferring to go limp like a bored cat. Chandler Massey matches him in those scenes.

I’m glad Leo is back, but I want to ask him “Why in hell would you wanna to be anywhere NEAR these two sadsack losers?”

• Members

I see something with him and Leo with the way they interact. I don't think he's a rotten actor. I feel like he's pretty much the same he's always been. I don't think he's "limp". I think he at least tries. Chandler OTOH does often seem low energy IMO. Greg is doing a great job as Leo.

I'm not directing these next comments at you, ( and I noticed you will at least also criticize Chandler for his lack of effort, which most people who don't like Freddie won't do) I'm just going to talk about people who constantly criticize Freddie/Sonny in general. I wonder how many people who say Freddie is horrible largely don't find him attractive (or attractive right now) and they going to the extreme to bash him and his acting because of that. Often times when he's criticized, it's usually accompanied by some sort of shot at his looks.  Plus, I think that people are also upset about CS/Paul leaving and taking their anger out on Freddie/Sonny and to a lesser degree Chandler/Will.

I'm now seeing people who constantly attack Sonny/Freddie saying they want Leo and Will. Okay, lol. 

Please register in order to view this content

We'll see if they really mean that if that actually comes to fruition. Or will they end up acting shallow like they do with Freddie/Sonny because they may not find GR very attractive. Even though he's a decent actor.

• Members

My hypothesis (and admittedly, I'm one of 'em):  After decades of no LGBT representation, we finally have a gay couple/love triangle these past few years but one is played by someone who looks dumpy and bored. It's one thing to have someone "non-traditional" like plus-sized Patrika Darbo join the canvas in 1998, who was otherwise in a sea surrounded by toothpick-thin actresses. But when you have just a small handful of "the gays," you want someone who's attractive and looks like they actually want to show up to work. I think it's just a matter of "You Could Do Better," both in appearance and performance. 

Side note: "You Could Do Better" with your performances too, Chandler. Drink a Starbucks and show some energy. And for Christ's sake, DEMAND the wardrobe department stop dressing you up for a Werther's Originals commercial. I know the budget is tight, but you don't need to be wearing Wilford Brimley's hand-me-downs. 

Personally, I'm not a fan of any actor who looks like they're sleepwalking through their scenes, gay or straight. That's why I have mixed opinions when I see Eric Martsolf, Greg Vaughan, and Billy Flynn onscreen and they inspire me to take a nap. Similarly, just as some don't get the Freddie hate, I don't get the Greg Vaughan love. I know Eric Brady is distraught, but GV shows up like a walking pile of misery, complete with glassy bloodshot eyes. 

Back to my first paragraph, it's like when there's only a handful of black actors on the canvas, and they throw them into half-baked stories ("he's black; she's black; let's make them a couple and be done") that aren't as heavily featured as others. There's such a small representation, you can only hope they would maximize what they have. (P.S. I'm 2 weeks behind on DAYS currently, but I'm still perplexed by what I'm hearing about Vanessa Williams. It's like, why the eff would you let talent like that go to waste?? I'm ticked...) 

• Members

I agree. I like Freddie, and I’ve seen him do good work on the show, but he’s often not that committed, as people have said. I also think the writing does him no favors. Same with Chandler, who often looks like he couldn’t GAF. The fact that they are styled so sloppily doesn’t help.

Only the very, very best actors on the show (like Judi Evans) consistently bring it. The show is cheap and done on the fly, and it always shows.

I do like Greg in this role so far. 

The treatment of the black cast is just shameful. They made no real attempt to integrate them into the rest of Salem. They had their cynical social issues story and were shoved to the side for more Chabby and Eric/Brady man-pain. T-Boz is played for sideshow yuks and because she’s T-Boz.

I think making Eli a Horton was a waste. Aside from Julie from time to time, he has no meaningful interactions with his family. It also means that there’s been a whole slate of women on the show (Hope, Jennifer, Abby, Sarah, Ciara, Claire) whom he can’t fück. Who else is there besides Gabi, which was half-assed, and the other black chick? Eve? Kate? Maaaybe Chloe? They’ll never test him with any of them because he’s nothing but a token. A diversity checkmark. RC, NBC, and Sony don’t really care.

• Members

LOL

Chandler is a hunk. Freddie Smith is the one who should be given the Werther's wardrobe to cover his gain in weight. I keep waiting for the wardrobe department to add dorky glasses for Chandler to wear with the WO attire. Such a handsome guy being wasted on such awful attire. 

• Members

I understand Sonny's not everyone's cup of tea, and that includes in the acting department. I just think that a lot of people tend to go way overboard in their criticism of him, and I think that may be largely because they find him unattractive. I think he does give a decent effort in his acting, but I agree that they should definitely dress him better. They should dress Chandler better too.  And lol at "Werthers Original" attire. 

Please register in order to view this content

I thought that Chandler was dressed better today but I think he still may have had that "WO" vibe going on lol.  I think that both him and Freddie were dressed better in their early/mid 20s.

Freddie has lost a lot of weight recently and is getting close to his target goal. I think he's looking good and much closer to what he used to look like when he first got on the show. I think they need to let him have facial hair, don't slick back his hair, (it looks good spiked) and dress him better.  I said this before but I think at this best he's better looking than Chandler and Christopher Sean. Though he has struggled with his weight and the way his hair has been recently styled on the show isn't flattering for him. It's interesting because I think that 20 something pounds lighter and a decent hairstyle is the difference between him looking pretty good and him not looking so good. 

Also, I wish that Eli wasn't being wasted and would get a better storyline. 

• Members

I wonder where they get their clothes from. I don't know how they go about getting clothes for wardrobe. I know things the budget is tight, but could they hit up a department store that's got some sales going on, lol. Some of these department stores that are struggling have clearance sales in the men's sections that have better looking clothes than what Days is putting on the men.

I felt like when they first came on the show, they had Freddie and I think Chandler as well in things like Polo shirts and collared shirts that looked better on them. Granted I know it's Winter so it's less likely to see them in something like a Polo,. But I Really haven't seen any of them in any of those type of clothes in a while, even in the Spring/Summer months. But they could try and find some nice sweaters, jackets, etc, nice jeans for them... And/or better looking suits for Freddie.

They don't dress the men in the most flattering outfits on this show. I think that Brady might be the best dressed man on the show.  Maybe.

Archived