Y&R November 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

Jordi is a good actor, but he’s no more solid or better than a lot of Y&R actors.

i don’t mind the Rosales family, but they’re being pushed WAY too hard and too much. Mia is INSUFFERABLE. Yeah, I want interesting characters, but what’s th3 point of making viewers HATE her?

She is a walking Latina cliche — curvy and thick, fiery, overtly sexual, hitting on EVERY guy in town, dressing like a skank, insinuating herself into EVERY conversation. She’s disgusting.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lol. I don’t find Mia disgusting, but she’s definitely a very dated Latina stereotype, right down to her hair and styling. (It also goes back to how soaps have traditionally played Latinas as villainous usurpers between a Latino stud and a comparatively “virtuous” white woman, and Mia’s playing that role against both Abby and Sharon.) It would be even more pronounced without Lola, who feels like a stock character “positive portrayal.”

I just don’t have any reasons to care about the Rosales family. The characters are one-dimensional and haven’t earned the airtime lavished upon them. Too much too soon like the RappaDavidsons over at OLTL during JFP’s tenure as @DeeeDee pointed out. 

And Jordi just reeks of “dying soap” at this point.

• Members

Aside from the Rosales family - can someone explain the story that I don't care about...how were JT's video files on the server of "Dark Horse" that Tessa found?  So...JT had a bunch of cameras set up around town to track Snore-toria.  Dark Horse happened after he was murdered I think.  How did all of his videos end up on Nick's servers at Dark Horse?  Am I missing something?  Did JT work for Nick at "Dark Horse" and we missed it?  And Tessa is the one who found all of these camera videos from JT who stored them on Dark Horse servers which didn't exist until after he was dead?  And you're worried about the Rosales family?  LOL.  This reminds me of the Victor replacing Jack with Yack doppelganger and he had to do it because of the DOMMMED PARRRRAGON VIRUSSSS!  TO protect the FAMILEHHHH!  Even though the virus happened nearly 8 months after he had a doppelganger rape Phyllis because everyone thought he was Jack.  This is ridiculous and it's not the Rosales family. 

• Members

I watched one episode and a few clips and yeah, the writers are doing these characters no favors. With the possible exception of Lola, you get the feeling that these writers not even giving viewers the chance to get to know each character one by one.  They're just a unit known as the Rosales.

I have to clarify on this post that I made a few days ago.

Now, I'm all for a body positive, sex positive character but the way in which they're writing Mia does a disservice to the character and the actor.  From what I've seen and read, there's not much work being done to illustrative Mia's identity, how she ended up in the situation she's in, what she wants out of life, other than to drape herself all over her estranged husband and brother-in-law.   

Compare how Mia is being written to Lola, who at least people know that she is passionate about being an entrepreneur and about making good food.  Those things are all about her...what does Mia have that is all about her outside of a man?

If you're going to show a sexually aggressive, confident woman, you'd better damn well give her other passions and pursuits outside of sex to balance out the character.

Mal is so into copying HBO shows, why doesn't he just copy Samantha Jones from SATC as a blueprint for Mia?  Samantha Jones loved sex but she loved herself more and she damn sure loved and nurtured her career. She also was written to be a good friend.  Does Mia have any positive attributes?

• Members

I don’t get what Y&R was going for with those scenes. If they wanted us to see how Devon is spiraling out of control, they failed, because all I saw was Nate the [!@#$%^&*]. What’s saddest is they’ll continue to use the poor reaction as justification to reduce the black cast. “Look, viewers simply aren’t responding to them.” It would help if the characters aren’t repellent from the jump.

Archived