Y&R November 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

Exactly. It does not work for US soaps. Mal Young is totally unable to understand the spirit of the show. I watch and love UK soaps but they are different from US ones. I don't want to see gritty EastEnders characters on Y&R and I don't want to see rich businessmen on Coronation Street. Please respect soaps for what they are.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think a two-hander is fine. The show just has to be good.

Sadly Gina Tognoni is the only actor on the show I could see carrying one half of a combustible two person hour. Peter Bergman? Barely. I don't want to watch Sharon Case do anything for an hour. Jason Thompson is human sominex. They just don't have the talent or writing or story to make an episode like that work.

• Members

A 2-character episode would be tough for 1-hour show, but I see nothing wrong with trying it - they have to produce 250+ episodes a year. It would definitely work on B&B. Dark Shadow usually had 4 or 5 actors daily, but again 30 minutes. I can't imagine what the circumstance would be where 2 characters would have enough to say in one episode that would actually move the story forward.

It seems like it would be more of retrospective type situation. I imagine it'll be some combination with Jack/Victor/Nikki/Sharon stuck somewhere. It has to be two actors who've been onscreen for a long time because it's going to have to rely on some flashbacks. So that would eliminate JT/GT and the logical combinations (Vicky/Nick) based on their character's history. 

• Members

Years ago, the show had Cricket/Nina as the only two characters on the show.. with Cricket saying she had to make a choice between Danny and Paul with Nina listening and offering her two cents.  The show was padded with flashbacks of her with both Danny and Paul.. and the show ended with Nina leaving to go pick up her son while Cricket thanked her for listening to her vent and that she had made her decision.. end of show.  I think it is doable if there are some nice flashbacks provided to pad the hour out (Nikki/Victor for example, Jack/Nikki.. Jack/Victor, etc).

• Members

I think it could be done, but you run the risk of it becoming a gimmick if done too often like Guiding Light’s awful Inside the Light episodes. Knots Landing did a season finale with only Joan Van Ark and Teri Austin. It was by far one of the best episodes they ever did (from Lynn Marie Latham as well). It wasn’t slow either so it’s possible to do on an hour show, but I’d do it once only and not make it a trend. 

• Members

Actually, The KL episode was only featured Jill/Val for the first 20 minutes - after that it featured other characters. I remember when I saw it in repeats a few years ago that it was highly unusual. You're right - it was incredibly done - very intense and dark but it worked because of the two actors and the characters' history. KL should've never gotten rid of TA - she was fantastic. I could see something similar with Y&R with an attempted murder/hostage situation. 

• Members

OMG Friday's US airshow with the ladies in Cat Woman masks digging up JT's grave in a public park.  The fact that there wasn't one CBS, Bell or Sony exec to nix this story when pitched by Mal is head spinning but to have the plot turn on his body being buried in this park. How tragic.  These antics belong in Salem.  

Archived