Y&R November 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

I wonder if they are quickly throwing together a storyline for Devon and the Winters family after possibly receiving backlash about their lack of airtime. They got some airtime Hilary died, and then it dropped off abruptly and they were mostly neglected by the show. Maybe Ana coming back and quickly throwing together this "Everyone thinks Devon is spiraling out of control" storyline is their way of trying to rectify things. It does feel thrown together, as we really haven't seen much indication that Devon is going way downhill. The stuff that Nate, Cane and Ana are complaining about seems mostly harmless. Like Devon meeting with the musicians at GCAC. They weren't doing anything illegal and that is how people can operate business in the industry he's in.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Everybody thought Brooks Darnell was great his first week. He had such a nice energy. But the shift to holier-than-thou know-it-all has made him insufferable. It would be hard for anyone to make Nate as written palatable.

Then again, I can’t name one black character on soaps who isn’t seriously underwritten right now. Y&R really tried like hell to make Scott and Tessa happen. I don’t see the same effort put into Nate, and I certainly didn’t see it with Jordan.

• Members

I think they’d have better luck if they knew who these characters were prior to the casting. With Cane, he has been rewritten and reconceived so many times it’s insane. Grifter, family man, CEO, superhero, man-child, villain, romantic lead, sketchy sleazeball, somehow Jill’s favorite “son.” He’s not complex; they don’t know who he is. He changes with the story.

• Members

I liked the way he was introduced and how he was bonding with his family, including the twins. But ever since then and Hilary's departure he hasn't done much of anything besides do stuff like lecture people. He's a doctor and we really don't see him work as one. (Outside of the brief time he was shown working as Victor's doctor/the Newman family physician and when he operated on Hilary.)

They could have him work at the hospital, I believe he said he was thinking of doing that. I think they should show him working more as a doctor, in addition to giving him a love interest. They could also tell us more about his past and what happened to his girlfriend that died. It seemed when he first came on that we may have learned more about him and Caroline, but they haven't really explored that. 

• Members

And I think they need Olivia like @ajsp35801 said. That would solve so many problems beyond just Nate even, but it would add some possible dimension to the character. Clearly they expected him to play a role in Hilary’s story before she abruptly left. As usual they expected Mishael to do the heavy lifting for flimsy characters.

I’m sure they’d think it’d be tough to justify using the hospital set without some big story purpose. But they could have had him befriend Rey or something. 

• Members

I blame MO. She's a character killer. 

Nate was brought on as story for Hilary and her next big love cause TPTB never saw Bryton/Devon as a romantic lead no matter how much the audience fawned over him in the role (seemed like half adored him with Hilary, the other half adored him with Mariah). 

Without Hilary, Nate has no identity and nothing to do because she was the ONLY thing he was ever going to do. 

• Members

Sad and true. They tried a chemistry test with him and Victoria for two episodes but that led nowhere. 

It’d be nice to grab Tonya Lee back even if just a few episodes as Olivia. What’s she up to? 

I havent been keeping up with behind the scenes drama... KSJ is out? 

Archived