Been There Done That - Characters who faced the same calamity twice!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's kinda weird, when you think of other characters with long histories (like Tom Hughes) who never did any of those. Granted, Craig didn't even know Sam was Lucinda's sister at the time  (I believe), and all three sets of sisters were half sisters (and the trio includes adopted sister Iva)...but "sharing" was definitely a thing before B&B started. They just perfected it. ..lol.

• Members

As much as I revere huge parts of Marland's writing, it was obvious to me that Craig (portrayed by Scott Bryce), under his pen, became an avatar for desire, female as well as some male.  When you see scenes during 1986 and '87, in particular, with Craig in various states of undress, it was obvious that Marland wanted to sexualize Craig (watch some scenes with Finn Carter where Craig is portrayed as raging with insatiable lust). 

Craig was used to "service" a lot of ladies.  Part of it had to do with the revolving door of actors (mainly Finn Carter) and the obvious challenges that presented story-wise.  Marland made the best out of a challenging situation but it really started with Marland and then continued under other writers tried to revive it but their writing was so clumsy and inept that they couldn't quite pull it off without making Craig a total pariah.

I suspect that had Gregg Marx's Tom Hughes stayed on the show, he would've taken a similar track to late 80s/early 90s Craig as Marland had "experimented" with that faux affair with Barbara and a triangle with Barbara.  Marx had a similar sex appeal that made him a desirable romantic pairing but Marx didn't stay on long enough and I just don't see Holmes being written in that way at all.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Ryan's Hope – In 1976, Faith was held prisoner in an underground room by crazy Kenneth Castle --and then again in 1978 by her crazy/ tumor driven husband Tom. And during both ordeals-- each of her tormentors repeatedly tell Faith that she is “wicked” and “deserves to be punished”.  

• 6 months later...
  • Members

What's even funnier is that she had all those surgeries under different writing regimes - Lakin/Edelstein in 1969 (though I think that story was more Rick Edelstein; Rita Lakin was on her way out by then), Robert and Eileen Pollock in 1974, and Margaret DePriest in 1976.