Y&R: Another Rosales Cast

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

@DramatistDreamer I agree! What happened at ATWT was so sad. They just didn’t care. That finale was pitiful. I see Y&R going the same failed path and for the record, this has nothing to do with the family being Latino, which will be their excuse to the backlash. They could’ve done this in a gradual way that made sense. For one, Arturo wasn’t strong enough to justify building a family around. Secondly, you have Isabella who could’ve easily been recast and showcase her family. She’s already tied into the canvas. Another option is Raul or even Mrs. Martinez similar to how Mamie (and the Abbott’s) helped usher in the Barber family. 

Even if you look at Nate he has built in legacy but nothing has happened to suggest is isn’t simply a new character plucked out of thin air. Neil’s godson and Lily’s friend? No. Then acting like Olivia doesn’t exist?! At the very least Tonya should’ve been brought back to help anchor him. I believe she did interact with the short lived Nate a few years ago, but nothing now. 

• Members

Raúl would've been an obvious choice since he is Cuban American (aren't the Rosales supposed to be Cuban-American too?) and Raúl was on the show, like what...six months ago for the Walnut Grove reunion?  Of course MY et al, don't want the constraints of paying actual attention to series history.

What you mentioned about Olivia being part of Nate's re-introduction to the canvas was something I mentioned when I read that the Nate character was being brought back.  It would've made sense but I've gotten the sense that Y&R, even before MY took the reins, didn't really want to have much to do with the Barbers and sought to diminish any part of the show's history that had to do with Victoria Rowell.  I think this failure to acknowledge important characters in the show's history is to Y&R's detriment.

And yes, ATWT  was truly sad in its last decade.  ATWT was once the show that I thought that, if I were to write for any soap opera for any amount of time, ATWT would've been the one but I really couldn't stand to watch it on a regular basis in those final years.  Sad to say, I'm at that same point with Y&R now.

• Members

TPTB had better not trot out the absurd and desperate argument that viewers are rejecting the new characters based on racism. 

Pffft.

If viewers were prejudiced against minorities, they would not be clamoring to get Dru back...years after she left the show. They would not be complaining VERY VOCALLY about the lack of respect minority characters receive on so many soaps, including Y&R.

The color or race of newbies is irrelevant. What matters to viewers is how they are introduced, how seamlessly they are integrated into the fabric of the show, and how well-written and well-cast they are. Who did not love Mary Mae Ward on General Hospital? Who did not enjoy watching Tamara Tunie's Jessica Griffin on ATWT? Who did not adore and root for Jessie and Angie Hubbard on AMC? Who did not want to jump the bones (LOL) of Shemar Moore's Malcolm Winters on Y&R? Who was NOT furious when Paul Roach axed the ESSENTIAL characters of Ed and Carla Hall and Sadie Gray from OLTL?

I want minority characters like Raul on the show because I already know and care about him. I don't know any of the Rosales family, and they are not well written enough under MY's pen for me to develop an interest in them. The fact that so many members of this new family have been introduced during a time when we are losing core characters like Paul and Ashley , and when we barely see other beloved vets like Traci and Jill, is just ASKING for the audience to resent the newbies.

• Members

i anxiously await the event/natural disaster that will ultimately claim the lives of this entire family in cheap, dramatic fashion in due time. Like, at this point the only reason "new" characters are brought on to soaps is because writers are told, in no uncertain terms, they can't really touch the rest of the cast. A damn mess. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I’ll be very honest and say I’ve certainly wondered how the audience felt about ANY new character/family being introduced over the years....it’s easy to say that with better quality writing 30 something years ago people were more accepting of anything new being thrown at them, but is it really only because the soaps are in bad shape now, and we are more “pro vets”, that we are reacting that strongly with a new family showing up?

• Members

Well by Bill Bell’s own admission, the show going to an hour, losing most of the original characters/actors and the influx of the Abbots and Williams families took the show out of its place in the ratings for several years.  So the audience was affected.

He smartly integrated people like Jill and Katherine and Nikki with the newer characters.  The reigniting of Katherine/Jill had to have pleased longterm

fans of the show, and it generated nearly a decade of story before it went dormant for a few years before Alden’s Estate story started.

I am not one of those people that hates new characters, even if we see a lot of them.  The problem modern writers keep running into is having a show filled with new characters and none of them have ties to the show and are the only ones featured.

Good writing is the most important factor, but there is none of that left on soaps.  But they could still work on balance.

When Monty decided to use Genie Francis to capture a younger audience, people forget the story was about Laura and her mother that started it all off.  Lesley was just as important as Laura was in that story.

If this family was tied to Raul, we would have an in to hold to while they show works the family out and into other stories.

• Members

This was a little different IMO. On new soaps things like that happen because you’re still working out the kinks. In this case they also had an entire half hour to work with each day so they had to introduce new characters. Also, the Brooks didn’t just disappear when the Abbott’s and Williams arrived so it was easier to take I’m sure. 

• Members

I feel Noelle wasa good Lily but that Role did not need to be recast. Martha wanted to stay but Goutman's ego got in the way and Martha walked and all she wanted was the same episode gurantee from the previous year

Howarth & McCouch were bAD as Paul and Dusty

Did u know that the 2nd choice for Dusty recast was AW's last Nick , Mark Mortimer

latest?cb=20140118164827

• Members

Whatever happened to slowly introducing a new family onto a show?

To me, the first rule of introducing a new family onto a show is to add a family member for a character that has caught on so that viewers will have an investment already built in.  Paul Williams was a good example where he caught on back in the late 70s... and we than got to meet his brother, parents, and sister.  It happened over time and slowly the family became more focused upon once the Brooks/Fosters left.  Also, the Abbots came on through Jill interviewing for a job at Jabot... and later Traci/Ashley/Dina/Mamie came into the mix.  

I'm all for new families/blood.. but it has to be gradual.  Lola is the only one I can see sticking around because the actress is good, her character seems interesting.. and she is good at popping Summer's balloon.  

Archived