Y&R: Another Rosales Cast

• Members

Rey’s wife cast: https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/exclusive-yr-casts-new-character/

This is just too much too soon. I can’t see this working as they bring more of them on. They aren’t connected to anybody, Arturo wasn’t very popular as the anchor and Rey is your typical backup man for Sharon. The only one I can see sticking around is Lola due to her age and connection to Kyle. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not surprised that MY is destroying the show, but even after all these years of watching incompetent PTB making the SAME MISTAKES over and over and OVER again on daytime TV, it boggles my mind that the executives never learn. When has gutting longtime vets and heaping a bunch of anonymous newbies onto the audience EVER worked?

• Members

When similar tactics have hurt vintage shows in the past, the ONLY way any of them recovered was when savvy masters of the genre took over the reigns, reinstated past faves and repaired the damage. Think Douglas Marland taking over ATWT and bringing back the vets like Chris and Nancy Hughes, Agnes Nixon taking over AW, eliminating the newbie Gregorys and placing the emphasis back on the Matthews, or Claire Labine heading to Love of Life, bringing back Meg Harper, and focusing the series around Vanessa and Meg again.

There is literally no one available, who is talented enough, and savvy enough about soaps and what the audience wants from them, to repair the carnage on Y&R.

I mean...*I* could do it, but nobody's asking me, LOL!

• Members

In the end though, it was hubris that ultimately got ATWT cancelled. 

• Installing new characters like Janet and Liberty Ciccone (that few viewers actually cared about) to eat up stories. 
  • Marginalizing long-time veteran characters.
  • Drastically changing popular characters into un-rootable messes and severe re-writes of series history/canon.
  • Constant recasting of characters (Adam, Casey, Craig, Lucy, Jennifer) with mixed results some (Adam, Craig) yielded very poor results.
  • Cheap, disposable storylines that went absolutely nowhere in the end.

• Members

Agreed, after folks like Robert Calhoun and Douglas Marland had saved and rejuvenated the show, it was relentlessly driven into the ground by TIIC who beat the beloved warhorse to death during its final decade.

All the unwanted, unlikable, unnecessary newbies! All the beloved vets (not only Eileen Fulton) marginalized! All the inexplicable destruction of once-popular characters like Dusty and Paul! All the painful and damaging recasting of legacy characters like Paul Ryan, Craig Montgomery and Lily Walsh! All the bad, bad, BAD writing.

Sadly, there were no more heroes of the genre to intervene and save the day. And even if there were, P&G just didn't care.

Archived