Classic SOD Tumblr Goodies

• Members

I was uninspired by the Xmas 1990 issue and only two items caught my eye

Ron Recht's hair

John W. James (Jess Walton's husband) mental health phone service for the holidays was praised by Ted (what's the connection and who asked him?) Shackleford. 

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The show was practically dead 10 years ago. Never say never. It's not like they have anything to replace it yet. Once they start actively developing something, I'll worry

Please register in order to view this content

But I love this thread and am catching up. I was a huge SOD/SOW/SOU fan in the mid 90s/00s. Hooked. Then it turned to crap and the soaps all started to get cancelled.

• Members

lol yep. I think it was blowhard Jeff Zucker. Isn't he running CNN? LOL

And I still think the last four soaps could all be moved online, but I imagine they'd all just outright end. Who knows? I wish they'd give it a try again. B&B, DAYS and GH could easily thrive online. I don't know how Y&R does, I imagine it could but I doubt CBS cancels either soap anytime soon.

• Members

It's the Christmas 1990 issue of SOD and everybody wants a Gameboy while waiting for Desert Storm to start.  We're going to have to wait for the year-end issue until next week.

Dorothy Lyman has been hired at Generations.  She's going to base her character on Donald Trump.  I had just lamented on the gender pay gap when we find out that Ms. Lyman had been lured back to daytime, from the glamour of syndicated prime-time, with the promise of directing.  I wonder if she ever the got the chance because they were canceled three weeks later?  I think it's funny that nobody wanted to work on Generations, they all signed up for other promises by NBC.

Diva attempts humor for her Christmas list.  One tends to think that modern editors would not allow Diva to make fun of Ada McGowen (AW)'s feminity or Billy Lewis's weight.  They also do that odd filler technique where they give a page of cover art for a two-page story.  

Marla Adams filled in as Beth on B&B?  Is she the first actor to play two different roles on both Y&R and B&B (before Don Diamont)?

The bi-monthly Patsy Pease Trashfest Report is published.  She's back on set, but she's cold to her co-stars and very private.  Worth repeating, it was a six-month maternity leave, pretty standard stuff.

SOD reports that ratings are up for soaps despite the interference of Iraq war reporting.  This was very unexpected and I wonder if it will hold?

Merry Xmas and a Happy 1991 SOD!

• Members

I'm now picturing Dorothy playing Mary Trump (Donald's mom) in the inevitable movie or miniseries. As usual, Dorothy's good with the winking larger than life attitude and funny lines. "They're hoping my presence will help the show, and I'm just vain enough to believe it." She did end up with a long-term TV sitcom directing gig, most of the middle seasons of The Nanny. I'm guessing the "Generations cancelled" article is coming in the next issue.

They really have nothing better to do than further the narrative that Patsy Pease is a hot mess, do they? And how about Drake Hogestyn commenting that its a shame he's Roman and not John Black? I guess the plans to bring back Deidre and Wayne were already in the works.

Leonard Staab ... hubba-hubba! I also feel guilty about thinking Todd McKee's handsome as he's talking about such a heavy storyline. It sounds like Jake was the first molested son on daytime. 

Interesting: according to SOD, Shep (not Harrison or Katherine) was the first General Hospital character who was a casualty of the new Gloria Monty regime.

Different Times: Shogun the musical getting attention for its $8 million budget. It flopped, of course.

So, who would you vote for in the SOD Awards ballot? Also, here's the end of that musical Loving episode:

• Members

Gentry and his agent got that prime little promise in his contract because they demanded it... and perhapsJudi nor Mary Beth's agents demanded it.  You have to play hardball and be willing to walk away if the show won't meet your demands (Jenson Buchanan to return to AW in 1994 after her maternity leave.. and Sandra F to return as Amanda in 1998 played hardball and got what they asked for). 

• Members

Didn't they kinda chicken out at the last minute and reveal it was his uncle or someone else and not his father who molested him?  Makes a lot of that article come off less impressive.

I'm sure it's embarrassing but I always wished that full episode would surface.  I can not picture Trisha and Trucker singing When the Children are Asleep from Carousel...

• Members

Having a character, the first male incest survivor no less, on a soap completely misremember who had been molesting him for *years* is not really a good precedent (I think a year or two later we had the Cooper sexual abuse story on Loving?)

Yeah the use of Married actually sounds rather inspired--a perfect song for them and not an obvious choice (since the song wasn't even used in the movie version of Cabaret--well except as German background music)

• Members

Can't decide what's better, this or ATWT's 1987 rendition where they're shout-singing the song while staring directly into the camera as it pans by. 

P.S. I love this thread, but I'm afraid to dive in just yet for fear that I'll spend hours reading vintage Digests!

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Is it odd that the Santa wig is the same color as Drake's 2018 hair, but I found him unrecognizable?

I'll second that emotion for Charles Van Eman.  Unfortunately, after the hunk exodus of 1990, they started hiring actors for their jawline and not their acting chops.                                                              

I went back and researched (while waiting on UPS).  Marcy Walker took 5 months off for maternity leave a few months earlier than Patsy and then took off 6 weeks around the holidays to film a Perry Mason primetime movie which necessitated Eden being in a coma twice that year.  Also, she was pregnant by Billy Warlock but they broke up during the pregnancy and she dated another man; I don't recall one mention of this when Billy returned to Days in recent issues. 

• Members

1/8/1991 Issue:  Here's how we know it is 1991, Pam Long quit GL in November and we don't hear about it in SOD for two months!  Did Mal Young get off the plane in England before we heard that he quit Y&R?  Plans for a Reva-Xmas-Angel and Harley's Jewish/Fashion salesmen/lover were squashed.    Pam had "issues" with the producer, but she's getting married in a ceremony inspired by the soaps.  Unfortunately, SOD was only able to get quotes from her fiancee, nobody else went on the record.

In an underreported story, the Dobson's are going to return to SB.  

SOD thinks that OLTL's Erika Slezak's performance of Viki was better as a mute stroke victim than as Nikki; in 2018 we would refer to that as shady. 

The Gloria Monty purge has begun.  Colton Shores and his whole family is leaving.  However, a little math shows that more actors quit DAYS in 1990 than were fired from GH.  EP Joe Hardy also left GH, hopefully, he went back to solving mysteries with his brother Frank.  Thus begins the 90's rapid changes in tone and story every time a new exec has been hired.

Of course Patsy Pease's "extended maternity leave" is mentioned - so I'll say it again, she left in March, returned in August, that's five months, not "extended."

Best Exit Interview of 1991 already goes to Melanie Smith (Emily) who openly hated Greg Beecroft (Brock)!  He was selfish, bizarre, and unpleasant.  Maybe because it was a Q&A they didn't go to Beecroft for a response, but it puts an interesting spin on his shortened run at GH in 1990...

Generations has been canceled. 

DAYS aired three anniversary episodes, but they tanked the ratings that week.  

Still no Best/Worst of 1990, unless it hasn't posted yet...

Archived