Classic SOD Tumblr Goodies

• Members

@FrankoI was struck by how worried SOD was about Days future, but in retrospect, they handled the transition well by positioning Jack and Jennifer as a supercouple and the introduction of Carly.  I chuckled at the highlighting of Michael Sabatino's time on Knots because I only associate him with Lawrence.  He is introduced with the unfortunate rape episodes that made it difficult for that character to have any future according to the forces of the soap universe.

Edie Lehmann was correct in her assessment of her character's dilemma on GH.  It's a shame we never heard from her again.  Maybe she should have supported the writer when quoted in print?  Julia Barrett was introduced in 1991 and I recall thinking that the characters were carbon copies.

I do get sad for actors like Daniel Markel who were announced with great fan fair, but we know they're doomed.

The "Picky-Picky" about how Roger on GL should have noticed the contents of the envelope were polaroid photos and not paper because of the toxic fumes when polaroids are burned was amusingly arcane.

I'm also beginning to question the editorial quality of SOD, based on that salary article.  They had one fact, (the standard SAG rates for actors), and only used off the record quotes.  The estimation of actor's salaries was entirely based on conjecture.  I could not imagine People or EW being willing to publish an article based on such flimsy facts.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I can't wait to see how SOD reacts to Lawrence's evolution from villain to romantic lead. Hey, Jack pulled it off ...

The thing is, Edie's comments could have created some really meaty scenes for her, Tristan, Finola and Kimberly to play. I guess GH didn't want to go there. We're at roughly four months until Robert and Anna's reunion.

Markel was hot. Speaking of unnecessary replacements, could we make the argument about Sam Fowler begating Dean Frame?

The salary article needed a lot more credibility. Even that recurring segment on backstage odds and ends -- today's edition, dressing room perks -- has more actual depth.

• Members

Both of the prior Sam Fowlers, RKK and Thomas Gibson, wound up having rather notorious reputations.  I'm surprised that none of the actor's brattiness (for lack of a better term) ever got incorporated into the character.  I'm also surprised that RKK/Sam's daisy-duke painting shorts didn't survive the recast.

• Members

Was there ever an exit interview with Pam Long at GL? I've always wondered why exactly she was let go from the show. In my opinion, the ratings were strong and the show was holding momentum and in a creative upswing despite her favourite character Reva there to no longer write for! She will always be one of my favourite Head writer's!

• Members

10/2/1990

Beth Ehlers got engaged in this issue, she was quoted about how happy she was to not be dating an actor.  I forget when she dated her co-star, so this is either subtle shade or oddly foreboding. 

There's a historically interesting article about actors leaving shows without notice.  Once again, lots of backstage details, including supposition about what actors were thinking, without any quotes or sourcing noted.  They seem to know how Patsy Pease was feeling, without ever directly asking her.  There are production quotes about amusing times that GL & AMC stars were unavailable to tape, but no sourcing on the DAYS part of the story.  Which makes me further question the editorial veracity of these backstage tales that fans remember as truth.  Was it a coincidence that Michael Knight and Jordan Clark both missed taping due to medical reasons the same year that they left their respective shows? 

Robert Mailhouse is joining DAYS as Brian Scofield.  He was part of the failed Scofield family with Michael Easton as his brother Tanner, their father Vern, and sister Cassie.  I saw Robert play with Keanu Reeve's band Dogstar at The Viper Room (perhaps my most 90's memory).  It's funny that he was actually much cooler than Easton was trying to be on the soap.

They fired Rob and Laura from Generations?  Big mistake  Did Sam get a younger brother?

Also, a story that I recalled reading about Todd Mckee's brother photographer Jon McKee because I would always look for his credit on SOD photos.  By the way, remember when magazines and studios paid for photos and didn't use production stills? 

There's a story about Santa Barbara using original music for all of their couples.  I would mourn the loss of original music for every couple, but I preferred the era when supercouples had pop music themes.  Remember the summer when "Lady in Red" would play every time Holly walked into a scene on GH?

My biggest laugh came from a news blurb that Sandra Reinhart (AW's Amanda) has been given her "big break" on Broadway in a play written by Donny Osmond's cousin, co-starring Rita Jenrette, (the wife of a disgraced politician who gained fame by writing about having sex on the steps of the capital).   Obviously, that play has never been revived.

Edited by j swift

• Members

"Once and for all, is Judi Evans leaving Days?"

Full House apparently never got produced. I couldn't find it on Lortel Archives or Googling and if it had run on Broadway, I'd have remembered it.

Hey, It's 1990!: Leo Burnell (Loving) is teased as daytime's answer to Ken Olin on thirtysomething.

• Members

@Frankoyou solved the mystery of the new character!  I haven't been able to figure it out all day.  I also don't recall any reference to Leo's religion.  BTW, I couldn't even find anything by Garden Osmond, (Marie's cousin). 

Also, poor Patsy Pease, SOD had dragged out the story of her walking off DAYS into four different issues in 1990.

@jcar03 so, I guess we're going with oddly foreboding...

Edited by j swift

• Members

I wonder if the Patsy Pease drama is why Robert Woods left DAYS and went back to OLTL?  

I have a theory that it is a juicy period of backstage drama because there were so many new people being put into executive positions that didn't tolerate the same behavior as previous regimes.  Money was tight and execs were not putting up with shenanigans.   There is an implication that addiction, (and other forms mental illness), were an interference in the productions of many of the soaps at the time.

Edited by j swift