Days:October 2018 Discussion Thread 🍂 🎃

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never understood this: the writers introduce a son and surrogate daughter for Maggie, and she is loving and supporting and nurturing of them, which is exactly the way she's been portrayed for 40 years -- and viewers hate her for it because they don't like the the Daniel and Melanie characters? (I'm not saying this is your motivation exactly, just that the attitude seems rampant in certain quarters.)

I get why people would object to the Victor-Maggie marriage, it's completely out of character for her. But I'm convinced it's kept her on screen more often so I've made peace with it. (See also: Rachel & Carl, AW).

• Members

You bring up good points. My issue was she has two children that were all but ignored and they retcon her a son and a granddaughter. And yes, Daniel wasn't a well liked character by most accounts so the hatred for him seeped onto Maggie. But there's just been something about it that's turned me off to her. There are times I can enjoy her. I used to actually LOVE the idea of her and Victor. But it just makes no sense, love or not, that Maggie puts up with a man like that. I wish they did a better job with them as a couple instead of the usual cameo every month where Maggie whines and bitches at him, Victor pouts and snarks ... maybe if they were shown as a real couple I'd care more. Just saying ...

I wanted to watch Maggie play mother to Sarah, not Daniel Jonas. It was a lot of things that turned me off towards Maggie. I guess we'll get to finally see her play mom to Sarah but it's about a decade too late and potentially the wrong actress. But I'll try to give it a shot.

Most fans had no issues with her basically running a boarding house for teens out of her home. It worked for me and gave Maggie some new purpose, having her interact with her grandson Nathan, Melanie, Will, Gabi, Chad, etc. all. And an interesting relationship with Victor. I was there. But then it all went to hell for me. 

If you enjoyed her playing mom to the egg-baby and his retcon daughter, that's cool (and not saying you did). I'd just have preferred things to have been done differently. Sort of is what it is at this point. I guess it's not fair to hate things because it's not how I would have done it, LOL, but what can I say? I just don't like some of the choices made and I think Maggie has been slightly tainted over the years. Now she's back to random pop-ins with no purpose but to lecture Victor and wring her hands. It's a shame, actually. I don't really think she needed Victor to stay relevant (2009-2010 Maggie is proof of this - even though she was starting to get involved with Victor and was leading story for a while so I guess she did momentarily benefit from being tied to Victor, but it's ultimately sort of damaged her; I can't be grateful she's just on, I want better).

While young at the time, knowing about her history, Rachel and Carl together on AW never made sense to me, even if Keating and Wyndham were/are absolutely amazing and wonderful actors who could sell anything. But looking back probably not the worst and I get pairing the two actors.

LOL, it's Ron. I have no doubts. And I'm really glad Farah's just a drive-by visit. Very glad. LOL

• Members

I'd prefer most everything about the last 10 years or so to be played differently, TBH. I certainly liked Maggie as den mother more than what came afterward. But I take my soap pleasures where I can get them nowadays, and that pretty much comes down to the occasional appearances of the Salemites I've "known" for decades. Kudos to Deidre Hall for whatever magic she's employed to keep Marlena relevant and (relatively) front burner for 42 years. 

• Members

I think another reason fans in recent years were put off by Maggie was because she took Daniel's side over Jennifer's when they were having relationship problems and she took Melanie's side when Nick was released from prison. Despite the fact that Maggie was the one who looked after Nick during his first run. Basically, some of Maggie's long-term relations with characters from the Horton family were ignored or downplayed for the sake of her new family members (Daniel and Melanie).

There's also the fact that Brady has seemed to care more about Maggie and Victor's opinions than John and Marlena's. Victor can be a complete ass and slut-shame the women in Brady's love and he's just old grumpy but loveable grandpa Vic, but when John's concerned (with good reason) about Brady hooking up with the likes of Kristen and Theresa, Brady treats him like he is the scum of the earth.

• Members

I totally understand the sentiment. I feel the same about the vets and I take what I can get, I accept a lot less than I ever thought I would have LOL. It's probably one of those things where, at the time, I was heavily annoyed and irritated but maybe if I watched back I'd have a different opinion. I did like her as mother hen to the teens at the time and even her initial relationship with Victor was interesting. IDK what happened.

Agreed on Deidre. She's been lucky to have Sheri, JER and now Ron/Ryan who seem to love her. Higley backburnered the hell out of her. MarDar brought her back. Definitely lucky and she's pretty much game for any damn thing, LOL

• Members

They went on to make at least two more ham-fisted references. Bonnie told Mimi, "You of all people know that we only have one life to live, so let's spend the days of our lives (yadda yadda yadda...)"

• Members

I know it’s unpopular, but I loved Farah Fath on OLTL and DAYS so I was excited to see her back. Bonnie is such a burst of energy and should remain at all costs so I’m all for a Mimi return that helps further her story. Adrienne is just so boring, I can only put up with her if I know I’ll get to see Bonnie. I’m also glad they were able to remind us that Bonnie isn’t the evil murderer we thought. 

Im enjoying Sheila’s return but I worry they’re going to try to pair her with Abe. I feel Vanessa Williams deserved more story, I’d even have given her a sister or younger niece to interact with Ciara and Claire. Instead she’s a dayplayer and soon could possibly be gone. Now if it’s a triangle I could support that, but I don’t trust them to properly utilize Williams. 

• Members

I always thought RoJohn/Marlena were very popular in the 80's.  I know John/Isabella had a following as did Roman/Marlena, but I thought after the affair storyline (which was apparently planned with Isabella alive before Staci Greason decided to leave) it was all about John/Marlena as the root for couple.  They practically kicked Wayne to the curb and they wrote awful for Roman in his return.  Not likable at all.

I know they brought ED in because they thought Drake needed someone younger, but I never heard there was a huge John/Kristen following.  In fact, I never understood why they dropped John/Marlena for awhile after 1994 until the end of the Possession.   I always considered them the supercouple.

As for Marlena, I think she is interesting with or without John.  John's not that interesting without Marlena.  I appreciate them as a grounding couple for the show.  Since they barely use Doug and Julie, it's nice to John/Marlena will always overcome.

Archived