Days:October 2018 Discussion Thread 🍂 🎃

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Catching up on the last 2 weeks... the novelty of Stacy Haiduk as Kristen (and Susan) has already worn off. Wrap this up ASAP and push her off a cliff to her presumed death, conveniently located to the left of the tree wall park just before you hit Horton Town Sqaure. 

I don’t get Eric Brady’s (GV) appeal. I feel like anyone who dates him must automatically start a prescription for anti-depressants. 

The show was wise to recast Ciara. I wish they had the same instinct for Claire. 

There’s always an ebb and flow for these actors on the frontburner but the painted Eric Martsolf has had a heavy flow for months. I’m ready for his time on the backburner. Ditto Blair Cramer. 

• Members

I agree with the sentiment but Maggie is a shell of herself. I don't even recognize her or enjoy her at all. It's sad. I used to look forward to seeing her, I was gutted when she was "killed" but once they made her Egg-baby's mama, tied her further to Melanie and Molly Burnett and married her off to Victor ... no thanks. I wouldn't miss her. But I wouldn't want Suzanne fired

Please register in order to view this content

(She can take Hope with her)

Doug and Julie though?  

Martsolf feels like he's constantly on. I've been ready for a break from Brady for a long time now. I think we'll be getting a break from Blair  

I'm so glad we got the recast we did for Ciara.  Konefal is perfect and exactly who I want in the role.

Olivia Rose Keegan never seemed *that bad* to me, she was passable when you had the likes of Vivian Jovanni and James Lastovic dominating airtime and trying to act (badly at it) but now that she's surrounded by Lucas Adams (green-ish, but I think has potential, just needs to grow a bit as an actor) and Konefal and even Robert Scott Wilson (not that I think he's as amazing as some do but he's watchable for a variety of reasons so that goes a long way), she's not good. She's had like 3 years to grow. Time to cut their losses. I've always hated Shawn and Belle having a teenager anyway. Especially since they barely write her with them or her family. Isolating Claire so much really hasn't helped at all, same for Tripp. We used to get lots of interaction with the old teens and their parents. Now it's rare.

Imagine watching Chloe, Shawn, Belle and Philip without them intersecting with the adults at the time? All of them isolated into one apartment for months/years on end with the rare drop-by from an adult when the plot calls for it. I miss characters interacting because writers wanted them to interact. Now it feels like they interact because the plot calls for it. This is why I keep bitching about the episode guarantees. You can't interact the canvas in the way it needs to be when most of the actors barely appear 1 or 2 times a week (if that).

Claire should have been Allie Horton. Allie and Ciara were brief frenemies as children. Instead of, you know, forcing Claire and Ciara into that. They've never really committed to anything with Claire. Sure, the singing/fame thing but it's just a blip on the radar, they never really hit on how sad and pathetic it is Claire lives for likes and fame. There's no real building up of characters anymore. Soaps tell us things now, they rarely show us.

For me, it's not the "novelty" has worn off with Haiduk, it's the lack of momentum. It really kills DAYS and I knew the momentum wasn't going to last. It's back to Sami sitting in jail or in a safe room. Why do we waste so much time? Seriously. The show has a massive problem with either guarantees or structure or something. It's been a problem for a long time but Ron's also always kind of been bad at this.

You don't understand the appeal of Eric Brady? The sexy and extremely nice Greg Vaughan?  But it's hard to invest when Eric's not on all the time, barely interacts with his family for half a year .... so I can kinda lol and get it. But man  

• Members

I agree that the veteran characters like Maggie (and even more, Marlena) have been ruined by decades of atrocious writing, but without familiar and beloved faces on the show, I would never even dream of returning to Salem. I can still ignore all the crapola the show has done to the characters, and watch them trim the Horton Christmas tree, bringing back fond memories of when DAYS was an actual show, rather than a dollar-store production.

• Members

Oh, I agree completely! Seeing the rare glimpses of vets on GH is the only reason I even bother trying to tune in. And DAYS would have lost me ages ago if they had gone down the path of some other soaps. They're big reasons I tune in.

Unfortunately we're in a time were the budgets are awful and those running the shows don't seem to be able to do anything with it. There needed to be an overhaul of how soaps are run and produced but we're all so stuck in "how we've always done things" that we resist change. Something hasn't been working for a long time, especially on DAYS. The problem is the soaps are also just existing now. That's why I feel like they waste a lot of time. You aren't guaranteed years here, stop giving me weeks/months of garbage.

I long for the days of a real budget and a lush looking show (I'm really sick of every scene taking place in the same like 6 sets). I also think the taping method cheapens the look of the show. Soaps went from looking like primetime in the 80s and 90s to looking like cheap sitcoms filmed on someone's video camera. Just watch old episodes. The difference is night and day. I guess it's the difference between film vs. tape?

• Members

Oddly, out of all the veterans still on the show... Marlena is the only one that still resembles the Marlena of yesteryear especially when she's in therapist mode.  Ironically, until the mid 90s.. John/Marlena were not even popular with viewers... John/Isabella.. and Roman/Marlena were the couples fans loved.  I recall up till mid 1994 when Wayne Northrop left.. that fans wanted Marlena/Roman to get back together.. while fans were liking Kristen/John together.  Mid 1995 with the demon possession story is when the writing slanted to show John/Marlena as the end game couple with Kristen as spoiler.  So when I see John/Marlena together now... I hate that they're stuck together when both characters are so much more interesting when not together.

Archived