Can We Talk?: Year One of Ron Carlivati's DAYS

• Members

So it's a little over one year since Ron Carlivati started writing at DAYS OF OUR LIVES.

So...how has it been in hindsight so far? 

Some have said this would be the perfect place for his brand of camp writing. Some think he is pulling from his old bag of tricks (DID, regressed characters). Is he doing anything right?

How would you grade him?

For the fans who watched him on OLTL and can observe his difference in writing from OLTL to GH to DAYS, I definitely would like to hear some of your observations.

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I personally think Sheri should be his co and they run things together. The whole JER era is a sailed ship and they need to move forward with something fresh. He had a few good moments but that doppelgänger stuff in the beginning was not it. I enjoyed the return of Will and the use of Eileen during that time. I like the idea of Stefan O., but not as Vivian’s son with Stefano. I would have introduced him as Tony and Anna’s son who Stefano kept away from them and used Anna as his introduction. He still would have had ties to the Alamain family via Tony, I recall Daphne DiMera being Philema Alamain’s Sister. 

• Members

How much is Sheri Anderson actually deeply involved in, tbh? Based on what they're getting onscreen (which could be micromanaged by Sony or Corday, in fairness) I have my doubts. It very much feels like Ron at his laziest, though. Some good ideas but mostly a mess and bad impulses back to the fore. Like, yes, is Rob Wilson playing a bad boy paired with Ciara a solid idea? On paper, sure. Do you need to once again run down the other guy in the triangle to make it happen, or should it happen if Wilson's character is an actual, literal serial killer? Nope!

• Members

I have my doubts, too.  Still, if she can be coaxed back as a "creative consultant," maybe she can be coaxed into taking the HW'ing job again?  After all, it worked on Michael Malone.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Sheri Anderson and Days fit like a hand to a glove.  Her other head-writing attempts on other shows didn't work (GL, AW, etc).  Her brief return as headwriter in 1992 was a lauch pad for stories still playing out in this day and age.  She was the one to write Marlena being trapped in the pit by the deranged Stella Lombard, but there was months of build up to that point.. with Marlena being a therapist for both Stella's husband and son.. and Stella's jealousy arose because both her husband and son were responding more to Marlena's help.. and she felt shafted and took out her frustrations on Marlena.  At the same time, Anderson wrote the Isabella dying story thus a grief stricken John turns to Marlena for comfort and he senses something is up with Stella thus follows her and ends up in the pit with Marlena.. touching off years of story (i.e. their affair, Belle's conception, Sami's start of her turn to the dark side, etc).  And this is just that story...  

• Members

I also think she was instrumental in the period of time she co-write with Reilly at the beginning of his tenure.  I do not think he would have had as much success if she hadn’t been there to supply the history and the pure romance aspects, which he used as a foundation to go out there with.

Did she ever get to the top spot at GH?  I know she wrote on that show during the original Luke and Laura storyline, and worked with Racina there and on DAYS.

Archived