Jump to content
Gray Bunny

Paul Rauch & others in a #MeToo #TimesUp era...

Recommended Posts

Most of Y&R's original cast had issues BTS with John Conboy or Bill Bell (or both).  IIRC, didn't Jaime Lyn Bauer (ex-Lorie) complain about how the actresses all had to change clothes in a large, drafty room behind the set?  Janice Lynde (ex-Leslie) left because she hated the writing for Leslie (although, years later, and after several other, lesser soap roles, she admitted she regretted leaving); and Dorothy Green complained -- either before her character, Jennifer Brooks, was killed off, or after -- that Bell's writing was very misogynistic.

Edited by Khan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Khan said:

Most of Y&R's original cast had issues BTS with John Conboy or Bill Bell (or both).  IIRC, didn't Jaime Lyn Bauer (ex-Lorie) complain about how the actresses all had to change clothes in a large, drafty room behind the set?  Janice Lynde (ex-Leslie) left because she hated the writing for Leslie (although, years later, and after several other, lesser soap roles, she admitted she regretted leaving); and Dorothy Green complained -- either before her character, Jennifer Brooks, was killed off, or after -- that Bell's writing was very misogynistic.

 

I think Jaime also said the water was never hot and they frequently caught colds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

 

I think Jaime also said the water was never hot and they frequently caught colds. 

I also know CBS Television City was very primitive during that time. They were building on and one scene with Kay and Brock you can hear hammering in the distance. Vicki Lawrence said when she was doing the Carol Burnett Show that there was only one main tape machine with all the cameras ran into it. All of the shows had to wait their turn to tape their shows. The Burnett show taped next door to Y&R and across the hall from The Price Is Right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I’ve heard rumored about Paul Rauch is from when Maeve Kincaid committed the unspeakable offense of letting her hair gray naturally.

 

This from an EP who kept an aging (yet fantastic) Douglass Watson front and center on Another World after green lighting breaking up Mac and Rachel only to immediately move him on to someone in Rachel’s age range rather than his own.

 

Rauch was a jerk and an idiot, especially in his refusal to evolve along with the rest of us, but was he guilty of any actual wrongdoing other than a lot of questionable decisions that hurt shows? I’m asking because I honestly don’t know and hope to be informed, because I HATED what this idiot did to GL. But destroying my favorite show does not mean he deserves to be swiped with the me too hashtag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SoapDope said:

The reason I asked was, EB did an interview and said when he first started he had a problem with the EP of Y&R and he said they fired him and got a new one. I assumed it was JC.

Wes Kenney's Emmy TV Legends interview states he was hired at Y&R by Columbia because they wanted him to sort out the transition of the show to an hour (as he'd done at Days) as it hadn't gone well. The schedule was out of whack, the actors were overworked, and he came in (with Bill Bell's blessing since Conboy was creating CAPITOL), turned up the lights, and guided the show to #1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, katie_9918 said:

The only thing I’ve heard rumored about Paul Rauch is from when Maeve Kincaid committed the unspeakable offense of letting her hair gray naturally.

 

Paul Rauch and Maeve Kincaid have a  history dates back to when she was on AW in the 1970s, and from what I hear it was not a pleasant one, which makes what he did to her in the late 90s even more distasteful. 

Edited by MichaelGL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has Maeve Kinkead ever spoken publicly about what happened at Another World? I don't think she ever did, so I'm reluctant to speculate. Everything I've read over the years sounded really bad, though, and it's definitely crossed my mind in the #MeToo context. I've also been making my way through those early '90s Guiding Light episodes that have recently been posted on YouTube, featuring MK's work in the story of Vanessa's attempted rape by a business associate. She did a great job, as always, and I believe she won her Emmy for that material, but it's especially sad to watch with those rumors in mind...and knowing that Les Moonves would soon be running CBS, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, j swift said:

Wasn't there buzz about Allen Potter the EP at AW being a jerk to actresses?

 

Allen Potter was a terrific producer, but he was jerky to a lot of people.  There's even a story about how Potter called Marland a "faggot" on the GL set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Khan said:

 

Allen Potter was a terrific producer, but he was jerky to a lot of people.  There's even a story about how Potter called Marland a "faggot" on the GL set.

 

Ugh. Was that during the conflict over the Carrie story? 

 

This reminds me of the two men who were supposedly fired from headwriting From These Roots because they were a couple. Or Tony Warren, who was pushed out of Coronation Street, a show he created, in large part  because he was gay. 

 

Gay men gave so much to soaps and got so little in return. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It happens in soaps, I think, for two reasons: 1) the "suits" feel threatened by these openly gay women and men (because, I tend to believe sexuality is a lot more fluid than most would care to admit); and 2) they're afraid they will push a pro-gay agenda that will turn off homophobic viewers (who, like TPTB, are only homophobic, because they don't want to admit they're actually fluid sexually).

 

14 hours ago, DRW50 said:

Ugh. Was that during the conflict over the Carrie story?

 

It might have been -- I know I've read somewhere that the two had major fights over that story -- but I can't be sure.

Edited by Khan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2018 at 7:23 PM, Khan said:

 

Allen Potter was a terrific producer, but he was jerky to a lot of people.  There's even a story about how Potter called Marland a "faggot" on the GL set.

 

Wow and I thought Joe Willmore had a bad temperament as EP at GL in the late ‘80s(Willmore allegedly threw a chair across the studio in 1989). That’s pretty disgusting.

 

I can’t imagine Lucy Johnson getting away with her “they aren’t hunky enough!” firings of Scott DeFreitas and Craig Lawlor over at ATWT.  Same goes for Tom Langan’s firing of Louise Sorel in 2000 and or even the Corday/JER firing of SSH in ‘93.

Edited by soapfan770

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, soapfan770 said:

 

 

I can’t imagine Lucy Johnson getting away with her “they aren’t hunky enough!” firings of Scott DeFreitas and Craig Lawlor over at ATWT.  Same goes for Tom Langan’s firing of Louise Sorel in 2000 and or even the Corday/JER firing of SSH in ‘93.

I always found Scott f ugly........but Lawlor was adorable....sad to see him go. That said Scott was great as Andy. I still remember his drunken storyline with Lien .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×