Could Sally Sussman have worked with a co-HW?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sally has never been successful longterm as a HW.  On Days she lasted two years and had to collaborate with Langan and had a huge story threads left by James E. Reilley.  On Generations, the show was fairly bad and she worked closely with Thom Racina and Michelle val Jean.  Even on YR this time she had Kay.  She'd be good on the outline writer staff and contributing story and character ideas.  

• Members

Nobody was going to be Bill Bell again, and even Alden had rough spots before she was forced out before.  SSM isn’t anywhere near the writer that either of them was so of course she needed help, but who?

The genre stopped growing talent and developing new people.  Who would we even consider pairing with her that could bring it?

• Members

I liked her soap Generations..but it was a slow burn..it took months before it got good (it wasn't horrible when it started just had a lot of setting up and building..which is a soap no no).

I recall I was a small child and my aunt was baby sitting me..and my mom wanted to check the soap out but had to work so she programmed her VCR for it.  My aunt and I watched the first episode..and I remember as a small child that there was a lot of voice overs explaining the back story and it seemed little else happened.  She made the fatal mistake of not starting a soap out the right way...she told rather than showed what was going on.  And I recall the first scene was a lead character having amnesia and than getting her memory back only for it to be a soap within a soap.  

However, the final year l...the show tightened up and recast a few key roles..and the action really got going.  I think Sussman has talent..but she needed an extra push to get going.

I do recall that Reilly raved about her and how he felt confident that she would be good (The killing Pool murder mystery was her idea..and it was packed well and tied up the kristen/Susan story nicely).  I think she was gradually moving the show away from the Reilly style of story telling...during her 2 year stint.

• Members

Please much.

Before SSM and KA came back, I had stopped being a regular viewer around Delia's death in...2013?...I checked in, but nothing really grabbed me. Then they came back and I'm sorry I LIKED IT. 

I think it was possible. Some could say she had a co-writer in Mal from the LA reboot going to when she left. So I do think it was possible. TIIC just didn't want to give her the time. 

Archived