Vet let go at Y&R

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Y&R building Nick a lavish new set is why I call bullsh*t on arguments that these changes are budget dictated. They spend untold sums on Nick's new office, while shuttering Eric Braeden's set, which is nearly as synonymous with Y&R as the Chancellor mansion set. 

Much as we all mock DAYS for its ugly lighting and repetitive set use, it still feels like DAYS because the cast is still there. Y&R is going the way of GH and that's a recipe for disaster. 

• Members

It's got a ceiling, and is comprised of three rooms, so while it's ugly as hell, it's lavish:

https://www.tvinsider.com/714373/young-and-the-restless-nick-newman-new-office-sneak-peek-joshua-morrow-interview/

I don't understand the need to consolidate - it's not like the lot they film at within CBS Television City is getting smaller (though the development plans around the studio itself are full steam ahead). 

• Members

EXACTLY!!! Victor's picture over the fireplace alone.

But given all the tea going on at Y&R (harassment, exits of long time vets, newbies galore), it is becoming clear to me that someone...and I said this in another thread...might be finally doing what should have been done a long time ago by bringing the next generation 'of age', but execution is key. And this...sucks. 

• Members

The new generation could have/should have/would have been Billy and Mackenzie and the Glow by Jabot teens under Kay Alden. It was clear that's what she was setting up. Jack Smith ruined all that with Kay and Jill being mother and daughter. Mac and Billy would have been that next generation that wouldn't have alienated core viewers because all of the vets would have been related to them. 

The destruction of the show started 15 years ago and now we're really seeing the result. 

• Members

Could not agree more.  I add Colleen and Daniel here too, and the marginalization of Heather Tom’s Victoria and what was done to Sharon as the destabilization that ultimately destroyed the show.

In the late 1980’s into the very early 1990’s, as annoying as Cricket was, that foundation of Cricket, Nina, Phillip, Danny and the characters in their orbit, followed by the introductions of the expanded Winters family and aging Victoria were the building blocks that were laid carefully to create a next generation and characters to interact with them.

I bring this up a lot, because it was glaring how quickly the show struggled once this happened.  On GH, the death of Alan followed by the text message killer storyline culminating in wiping out characters that were solid and had places to go, even if I found them annoying (NL’s Emily I’m looking at you) did more to destroy the show than anything else in the years since.  Because every year they try to introduce more younger characters that people do not respond to.  It is a never ending contract cycle of two to three years of 20 year olds trying to grab on and failing, mixed with vets in stories that are played out because they have been in triangles and back from the dead’s for 20 plus years.

• Members

YES. So much yes to all of this. I think the marginalization of Heather Tom's Victoria is the best example of how they gutted the show. They took a powerful, strong, charismatic female character and turned her into an utter loser. 

When you strip vets of their legacies (ie children, grandchildren and employees) you rob them of storylines that let them continue on the show in a different way. Imagine if Billy and Mackenzie had been able to marry - Kay and Jill would have been able to continue their frenemy/feud/hatred in myriad ways through the births of grandchildren, perhaps marital strife - the late 80s with Nina are an example of what could have been done. It would have been fabulous. 

Your example of GH is exactly what's happening at Y&R now. Doug Davidson, to be fair to all involved, hasn't had a legitimate storyline of his own since Eva Longoria and they did the exact thing you've pointed out with his only child, Ricky, by SORASing him and then killing him off in a year's contract cycle. 

• Members

This is a recurring thought that I often come back to-- when a previous headwriter obviously sets up a future scenario for legacy characters, only to be obliterated by a future writing/exec. regime when they either send the legacy character off the canvas or kill off the character(s). 

It seems to happen on almost every soap, to the detriment of future storylines.

• Members

The saddest thing is that Y&R had an ideal set up to keep Paul relevant (since they have no plans to revive the Williams family as a whole) by keeping him with Maggie (who was his best pairing since Cricket) along with Heather & a recently SORASed Ricky and Y&R ruined his kids with terrible recasts (Eden Riegel, Jennifer Landon) and/or awful stories (Ricky turning psycho) and they just let Tammy Lauren walk away.

Archived