Vet let go at Y&R

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like DD and he's always been a stanch supporter of Y&R, but Paul was pretty much an island with LLB as spouse, no onscreen children or family. etc. I'm pretty sure the lawyers at Sony were like - it's time to start cutting male actors after 4 very visible female actors were shafted.

BTW - Which regime was DD cheering/jeering a few months ago? I can't remember exact timing, but I do remember he was pushing some narrative on social media.

• Members

That's all it has going for it when it comes to this viewer.  I haven't tuned in for months, but when I even consider it, it's to see "old friends". I was considering tuning in this fall because they always do that season right, but, well see.

I would actually agree that Paul had lost relevance if Y&R were a going concern, but it isn't.  The show itself has lost all relevance. It's clear as day we are in the last years, so why get rid of the familiar now? It just hastens the end.

• Members

Suddenly, I'm having flashbacks to the day when I learned GL had dropped Jerry verDorn (Ross) to recurring status.  Granted, "recurring" and "fired" aren't exactly the same thing...except, they kinda are.

I won't pretend to be a DD fan, but I do think this is a lousy way to treat someone after FOUR DECADES of service.  As a longtime resident of GC, Paul Williams had plenty of story avenues worth exploring.  If the current regime couldn't realize that, then they have no business BEING in this business.

Oh, well.  Maybe Brad Bell will bring DD over to B&B (either as Paul, or as another character).  It ain't much, but....

No, you can't.  But there are several other actors, both veteran and newbie, who could have been given the boot before DD.

• Members

Well, the show is bringing in Rey and he will be heavily featured and I'm sure their will be plenty cop story to tell. If they can do it for Rey, they can do it for Paul. 

Tessa is currently mixed up with shady people. There is natural story there for Paul to fit in. Why the show no longer plays these beats to crimes, unless Phyllis is on the trail, is a prime example of storytelling problems. 

• Members

Didn't Les Moonves save him during his last tough contract negotiation? I'm pretty sure I remember reading that.

This show is being gutted between familiar actors and sets being tossed.  Maybe that's what they have to do to survive a few more years, but it's sad to see.

• Members

What is shocking to me is that he running the show like JFP usually runs a soap.  Long term players out.  Bland female lead. Rushed plots.  Getting rid of actors and characters in controversial ways and still keeping her job.

She was so unlike herself on the people management side when she was there.  Mal is cut from the same cloth.

Its like we ended up with Pratt and JFP as one person, but with even less talent.

Archived