Vet let go at Y&R

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's the end of an era for sure. I just hope they don't kill him off. 

I'm also hoping KSJ can survive until a regime change. I suppose if these orders are coming from the top that won't help.

Seriously.  The way these shows treat long term talent is despicable to me.

• Members

I saw the topic and thought Kate Linder, Doug or Christian LeBlanc.

Guess Doug was costing them too much, even with limited appearances.

Such a shame because he was always a team player .

Paul was written badly for years...if Heather, Ricky were still around at least he would have some place on the show.

Where does that leave Lauralee?

Wait a minute...we have the Rosales family to look forward to ...its all good,

• Members

I just checked SOD and SID Twitters and nothing there yet.

I think Doug Davidson has been on the chopping block for the last 15 years but he was spared until now. This doesn't bode well for any of the other 25+ year vets.

When Jeanne Cooper passed away, Doug became Y&R's longest running cast member. He also has the longest run on the show as Jeanne passed away some six months before what would've been her 40th anniversary on Y&R.

I guess this means that Melody Thomas Scott is now the longest running cast member; her 40th anniversary on Y&R is March 2019.

• Members

DD tweeted “It appears so” when someone asked him if he was let go.

Paul’s lack of relevance is because  of the WRITING for Paul. I hate seeing these legacy characters go away. It’s one thing that always made Y&R special.

Oh well. It’s not special any more. We all grew to hate Chuck Pratt’s writing, but he never destroyed this show the way Mal Young has.

• Members

This is egregious.

DD is still a handsome man, a team player and a capable actor. He's the show's longest-running cast member and deserves some respect.

If uninspired writers cannot figure out how to write for a soap's veteran players, it's not the actors' fault, the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the scribes.

One of the only things going for Y&R in 2018 is the familiarity of its longtime cast. If TPTB continue to hack away at the core characters, what do Sony and CBS think will keep viewers tuned in? The "stellar" writing that trashes history? The "gorgeous" sets that look cheap, cramped, and/or like refurbished torture chambers? The new minority family nobody knows or cares for? Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

TIIC never learn. There are many actors who could, or even should, be let go from Y&R. DD is not one of them.

• Members

Wow. I guess it's not a surprise, but it's just Y&R continuing to go down the same path that killed all the other soaps. Don't get me wrong, I understand that Paul in recent years hasn't provided much storywise (I think of all the longtime vets it's probably only Nikki and Jill that could have, and the show never bothered with Jill) but it's still a somber moment, especially when I think of all the duds who remain in major roles. 

• Members

It really does seem to be where it is heading. I don't even think Mal is aiming to destroy Y&R, but there is so much hubris here, so much 'Imma make my mark!' with this sweeping away of the vets. He doesn't know the history, and he doesn't care to, so that is why this is happening with a quickness. I'd like to believe that penny-pinching is triggering the departures, but we've got dank new sets for Nick's office and a whole new minority family being cast (there is 5 or 6 of them). BTW, I am not adverse to a new family being introduced to the show, and a Latino family to boot, but it's at the cost of decimating the other minority family which viewers actually treasure! I don't understand why Mal cannot see that core viewers (who, let's face it, are all that is left of Total Viewers) are going to be pissed about this. Pissed about losing Mishael. Pissed about Eileen and DD leaving. Pissed about the unrecognizeability of everything on our screen, from tone to lighting to characters to deeply boring SLs. This is pure hubris. And it is going to lead to disaster.

Archived