Plots You're Tired of on Soaps

• Members

It almost always felt like a tool to "punish" a character or weaken them, I'm usually not a fan of rape stories because it feels like there was some underlying agenda behind it. When it's a male rape, they play it for laughs (Hi, Hogan Sheffer, wherever you are). At least on DAYS they call Kristen's rape of Eric what it was - rape. And they don't sugarcoat Kristen doing it.

I'm tired of everyone having baby rabies (when in reality it's a lazy writer's way of "having a story"). 

I also get tired of people liking a character or wanting them reformed because "they're hot" or they like the actor or actress. Some characters need to have a specific shelf life.

(OK, some of this is complaining in general, but still ...)

All of this.

Most soap characters at this point are beyond hypocrites. No one really has a stone to throw at anyone but they do anyway. I guess it'd be boring if they didn't.

Edited by KMan101

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Now I KNOW you're talking about some people who will spam two pages of a thread with pics about how hot someone is, and demand they keep that actor together with another actor/actress because even though they can't act worth crap....."OMG they look so sexy together! when's the sex scene coming?!" and then complain they have no story.....are you? LOL

• Members

Let me add how obnoxious it is that no one ever just jumps to the obvious conclusion about reoccurring events? At some point when someone starts saying that so and so is alive, that one person might say, "well, I came back from the dead last November, so let's check it out!"

Also, how's it possible that everyone in town is the same religion?! What's better, how can these multi-married people who are so religious get married in church every time?! 

I'm so sick of every new character ending up related to, or having a previous relationship, which usually leads to relation, to someone presently on canvas. Usually a main family. Why can't someone just came to town just to start college, or get a job at one of the huge companies in town? Hell, why not just come to town to get a new start?! Every character being related is gross and closes off storytelling. You need some wild card players in there to shake it up.

• Members

Grief sex, and any other sexual encounter that suggests that people are always ready, willing and able to have sex.  I don't know anyone who could get it up after a funeral; let alone in the rented limousine. 

Actors sacrificing vanity for an Emmy.  Men shaving their heads for cancer stories, (while still working out their biceps), and women forgoing full makeup to demonstrate their commitment to the craft.  As Lawrence Olivier said to Dustin Hoffman when Dustin said that he had been up for three nights to appear tired in a scene, "next time try acting, dear boy."

Edited by j swift

• Members

I also have grown to hate stories where complicated women are raped and then become saints once the story is told.  It trivializes complicated women, and trivializes rape.

I wish in a town like Salem, where nearly every major female character has been raped, they would take that to the next level.  If ever a show could present a take back the night event and have so much history and survivors present it would be DAYS.

• Members

Then they couldn't have a rape survivor falling in love with a serial killer.

I wonder if these writers and producers ever sit down and really think about what they're writing. It doesn't seem like they do.

That's not remotely the same. Hoffman could have easily appeared tired with makeup. An actress not wearing makeup because her character is dying of cancer makes...sense? It's not always about vanity. Sometimes, only sometimes, soaps make logical choices.

• Members

THIS.

Used to be that heroines gave as good as they got from vixens and villains. For example, I know I miss how Liz used to be on GH. Letting Carly know from jump she was not going to let her push her around and was not afraid to get down and dirty to fight for what she wanted. 

Well, I figured you meant for example OLTL Todd Manning back in the day versus someone wanting to bait another. 

Please register in order to view this content

• 7 months later...