Sara Joy Brown on Les Moonves Hurting Her Career

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish this were in the main and not spoiler thread so it can reach more people! This isn’t a spoiler and is a pretty big story. As strong an actress as she is it makes no sense she didn’t blow up. Even at the time the Cold Case thing made no sense so it’s not surprising there was a story there. I understand some actors don’t transition from soaps to primetime, but you can’t convince me she couldn’t have been a heavy hitter. 

• Members

It's what I've suspected for the last several years about ATWT and daytime soaps in general. 

There has been no real autonomy by the creative heads at soaps in at least a decade, even two decades with some soaps.  Someone like Les Moonves has a long reach and he would reach into the workings of a soap, if he wanted to exact vengeance on an actress-- no area is too trivial.  

All this nonsense about independent showrunners on soaps.  All those truly independent-minded headwriters are long gone.

ATWT under Goutman was pettiness personified, especially in the way he/they used and abused longtime veteran actors.

Y&R under Steve Kent, JFP, Pratt and now Mal Young is pettiness personified,

Mal Young with the way he/they can tell bald-faced lies and then engage in passive aggressive agenda-making.

As I posted in another thread, Y&R is long overdue for a serious longread quality BTS exposé if only there were an in the industry willing to do the type of research of a serious journalist.

Brown's post had reminded me that her character Julia's abusive ex-husband was named Les.  Didn't "Julia" end up being murdered by "Les"?

That's, er, some coincidence.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

What a shame.  She's talked about the fact that LM got her fired from Cold Case and banned at CBS before.  I didn't hear the full story of what was behind it before this though. 

She said she retired from acting, which is too bad. If only Netflix and streaming had come 10 years sooner. I think it might have saved a lot of women from these career destroyers. 

• Members

What!?  That is a travesty.  What a slap in the face to a predominantly female audience. Of course, daytime is infamous for slapping its audience in the face (looking at you Y&R).  I'm not surprised they were getting more, but triple?

Please register in order to view this content

Archived