Jacob Young Interview

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This.

B and C stories are now just filler because the actors have a guarantee to fill. At least it's how most of them come across. Or a show is just a muddled mess with no real defined A, B or C stories. I know many despise JER, but he at least followed this and it's why I like the way he wrote. I'm not saying I liked *what* he wrote

Please register in order to view this content

(obviously *real* scribes have long been doing this, just wanted to point out that JER followed the formula. He was just a, and I'll keep it simple, hot mess). He may have taken years to get to it, but at least you knew you'd get a pay off. At least you could clearly see a story being told, even if you hated it and the characters were changed to fit the plot. 

Soaps are just "existing" at this point. And doing a poor job of it.

To me, they're more writing "moments" and existing, instead of truly building towards something. Lots of "ideas" but never any real "story"

• Members

Sony doesn't run B&B.  We haven't heard from Brad Bell though.  Wonder whether he'll speak up on that...probably not.

Men, especially white men are afforded the latitude to make pointed criticisms.  Upper management will not be as harsh on them. We all know why.  Women's and women of color-- voices are not given the same weight or assumption of veracity.

Even considering all this, I doubt anything Young has expressed in this interview will change anything at B&B.

• Members

I also think the quality of these shows has deteriorated so markedly that it is no longer as easy to dismiss criticism from actors as it might have been a decade ago when the ratings were much higher. 

Even the delusional fans are beginning to pay more attention to what actually might be going wrong BTS.

• Members

THIS. Agreed completely.

GH Twitter is so much fun. They mostly despise all the same people we do (of course they have their crazy stans too who bot it up). It's so bizarre. Yet Frank and Varni don't care (which just proves the fact that they want to focus on their pets)

• Members

Jacob Young has to be one of the nicest soap stars. He always answers/responds to questions, concerns, criticism or praise involving him or the show. He is a class act. It is a shame the show continues to waste. the show on Liam and his 1 millionth marriage. So Bradley Bell is not in charge of this whole Liam mess? Who are these writers he is referring to? And Jacob was pushed aside to give Ingo....the money to hire him only to use him once a month?? I am sure JY thought the Maya story was too nice and pretty....and knew there was more to tell. 

• Members

Sure. Plus it's a matter of frequency.  VR has probably made thousands of tweets over the course of years.  Not that I think she's crazy. It did take me too long to realize what society does to people. How the injustice and unfairness can make people feel so distraught.

• Members

She joined Twitter about two years after she left the show so it's likely that those tweets were the result of how she was treated by Sony/Kent et. al. and perhaps seeing Twitter as her only means to be heard.  I remember reading an archived interview done by a soap blog but even that was in 2010, I think.

• Members

To be fair many fans (even to this day) constantly ask her about Y&R (so it's not her fault for it remaining a vital topic of discussion) and she'd always been a champion for diversity throughout her career (her social media presence is just an extension of that) so it's not as if she is/was trolling twitter for arbitrary adulation (like Michael Muhney) or her tweets were 'fake news.'

Soap fans made her into daytime's version of Colin Kaepernick because they didn't want to deal with the systemic issues historically ingrained in the genre.

Especially when the same soap fans constantly hand waved similar sentiments made by more 'respectable' actors & actresses of color in daytime.

• Members

Yes, I imagine this is true.  Plus the injustice of some of the things that happened to her on set and that behavior being allowed and maybe even encouraged by those in charge.

I'm talking about the way she would do tweet storms that lasted for hours. That coupled with the fact that she had asked out of her contract, versus being fired. Anyway, it that was a long time ago and I see the whole thing a bit differently now, even though I was sympathetic to her at that time as well.

• Members

sounds like sour grapes because he wasn't frontburner 24/7. 

Please register in order to view this content

It's hard to feel sorry for him when you've got Heather Tom who - is genuinely one of the most talented actresses in daytime - literally has a frontburner SL once a year (if she's lucky LOL) and the rest of the time she's just furniture on the set. You're not gonna be a story-focal-point all the time, bro. You're not that interesting. The Steffy/Liam/Hope triangle, as much as I HATES!!! it, is what's keeping audience's interest apparently. Deal or move on, really. 

• Members

and another thing, we all know the real reason why BB's not "tackling" more trans issues w/ Maya and has basically backed all the way off, and it has everything to do with the backlash the show received from the actress not being trans IRL. 

lol, what? So, you're saying BB's just obsessed w/ the actors/storyline and going full-steam ahead for no ratings/demo-related evidence that that's what non-vocal majority is interested in? Girl, please.

Archived