Jacob Young Interview

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for posting.

Very interesting and candid interview that gives some insights into what really goes on behind the scenes.

So Brad Bell is turning into Ken Corday and handing over the day to day. Who are the writers JY is referring to?

He's spot on that they have a different take on soaps.  

Wonder how this interview will go done with B&B and CBS?

• Members

"

Same thing. This is almost sounding like the excuses Corday gave when Langan, JER 2.0, and Sheffer were writing the show yet Corday still sat there and rubber stamped stuff and cheered it on until something blew up in his face. 

They are doing just enough, if you know what I mean.

Obviously! Just stretch out a Steffy/Liam/Hope triangle to the point of absurdity and throw in a few minutes of filler here and there and Voila! You have a crappy 22 minute program airing 5 days a week. 

I haaaate what's happened to our shows @YRfan23 this past year. It's painful to watch either Y&R or B&B these days, and unlike ATWT and GL, its quite transparent to see the shows being sabotaged and nothing being done about it. 

• Juliajms changed the title to Jacob Young Interview
  • Members

It's just mind-boggling how those running the soaps don't really seem to "get it"

I've always liked him as Rick too. And I've liked him in other roles as well. He seems like a nice guy who has his head on right and knows what the deal is. I appreciate that. He has a good read on things, IMO. Smart guy to bail and I'm glad he's staying busy.

He's no doubt right it's about money and switching one for another, more or less. Not like Thorne gets much more airtime, basically just took Rick's spot. I thought that was obvious during the introduction of Emma -- is that her name? (which was almost a blatant rip off of Coco/RJ -- just cross out the names, switch some things, voila! B&B is so lazy). I happened to be trying to watch the show again at that time but I just couldn't. I also tried for Taylor and I can't.

I figured Brad was mostly checked out. It shows. Not that he's amazing by any means, lol

Back to the article a bit ... and to be fair, you can do a lot in 15-20 minutes. And the show is more like 19 minutes

Please register in order to view this content

I like how they both pointed out that more used to be done. But it seems B&B is tight with the purse strings even if they have some money. I mean, the show still looks the best out of all four, not a high bar but still. At least it has that. Too bad the rest is a mess.

I'm really glad he spilled a little tea. Some of it needed to be said and put out there, IMO.

• Members

He was spot-on with his assessment that nowadays soap writers are incapable of writing more than one story at a time.  I've been complaining about this for the last 5 years or so, at least.  There are no B and C storylines on these shows. 

What passes for a B or C storyline is not a full story, it is a few scenes and some visual exposition that mostly takes place off-camera.  As a matter of fact, many A storylines now have a chunk of the action taking place off-camera these days.

Just came across this from Jacob Young's social media.

Archived