Y&R September 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Today's soaps seem to underestimate the value of having a good director but whenever I've seen episodes of Y&R over the last several years, it seems as though they have been doing without one. 

At least from what I see onscreen, there appears to be little to no direction, particularly where the actors are concerned.

• Members

All the soaps need better directors. GH is the worst because FV feels he's the director also and steps in and gives bad direction in scenes against what the actual director is saying and then will just cut and paste from both. 

Yesterday's Y&R was so damn hallow for me.  I mean it doesn't help that lately some of the weakest actors on the show have been getting heavy emotional stuff. But where is the director to step in and make this look good?They can't even bury this stuff in flashbacks like they did Nick vs Victor.

And that sex scene between Lily and Cane was shot from such weird angles. What is with the strange angles on this show lately like some pervert is manning the camera?

• Members

CF is terrible as Tessa. Her halting line readings, her body language, her acting style — all awful. Every scene with her is a dud.

Camryn Grimes gives interviews about the Mariah/Tessa relationship and acts as if it’s special beyond belief. What is she smoking? There’s NOTHING there that’s special or touching or inspiring or different.The scenes today about Tessa looking for a job were horrendous.

• Members

I just don’t think they’ve set up Summer’s motives well. It’s like a bad Mildred Pierce ripoff but without any real back story.

As a promising intro, Nate has become a real bore. I know he’s been thrown into heavy story, but can we see him crack a smile and not be so condescending all the time? 

• Members

I agree about Nate. Then having him and Devon both broody in every scene doesn't make them attractive. It's obvious that they're going to go for Nate/Victoria pairing, so hopefully that brings about some levity to the character. Being so mopey all the time doesn't work when you look like Dory.

• Members

I've never gotten the magic of Devon that so many people apparently see.  He's always been a cardboard actor and now is like a 30 or 35 year old crotchity old man.  Neal - never to be redeemed from the "I had to Kidnap Hillary and keep it a secret because I needed to save her." storyline.  Blah.  I don't know what I'll do next week when the U.S. Open is done.  I need to look through my channel guide and find 1 or 2 day old Wendy shows to watch or something.  I haven't seen much of it since the U.S. Open started but I can only imagine. 

• Members

Those scenes today with Tessa failing behind the coffee counter were gagworthy. And when did Mariah become such an awesome barista?

Dumb: all that Phyllis and Summer arguing in the same room with Dina while Dina watched a movie. IN WHAT UNIVERSE would a mother and daughter stay in that room when there’s a frickin MANSION to argue in? 

And then Phyllis tells Dina to wait outside for her? Dina, the ALZHEIMER’S patient???Who DOES this??? I’m willing to make allowances for somethings because it’s daytime, but not stuff that’s this ridiculous.

Why can’t ANYONE on that show see that Nate has become AUNT NATE, the boring, brooding, nosey, always concerned aunt who wrecks every moment of life? How can this not be obvious? 

• Members

Some of the writing choices really irk me ; 

The Ashby breakfast scene meant to tug at our heartstrings as Cane made waffles(?) for the kids (who are old enough to make them themselves) but there was no whipped cream because 'Mom buys the whipped cream' 

Well kids, you better get organized b/c mom is behind bars and not available to do the shopping,

IMO it would have been more effective for Cane to have made the breakfast (and not look like an idiot for not noticing there was no cream) but for them to acknowledge it won't be the same without Lily or for them all to have cereal and just talk about missing their mom.

Then we had Dina at the Abbotts watching a movie on an unseen TV while inches away Kyle,Phyllis and Summer have it out.

Surely there is another room in the house with a TV? Dina could have come in and  out instead of being plopped on the sofa.

Just little stuff that bugs me...

• Members

The waffles scene was bad, and the food looked inedible. Not believable at all that Cane was cooking.

in addition, that Ashby kitchen/dinette set looks so small and cramped that it’s absurd. This is a house? Looks more like an efficiency apartment.

Other sets seem smaller to me, too. I swear the Abbott living room loses a few square feet every month. Crimson Lights? The main seating area now has 3 tables and a couple booths. The other room has 2 wrought iron tables. That CANNOT be what it once was.

Archived