Y&R: Interview with Mal Young

• Members

Honestly, I doubt anyone will care. Not a single one of these characters will take off or build a substantial fanbase. Mal isn't a good writer and by pushing out the black cast members they'll just be resented. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What the hell happened to Ravi, he seemed to be a pretty successful addition that got nothing. He was also introduced correctly, as a blank canvas and without much fanfare. R had so much potential and got the shaft for Junior Bitch and Captain NoAss.

• Members

Ravi felt more like a Sussman thing, and he was more a stereotypical gimmick (virtuous geek made over) than a character. Plus, they probably thought he was too unconventionally attractive (not white/light-skinned or gym-obsessed eye candy like Nate), not manly enough, and not viable with any of their core leading ladies. They may have thought bringing on a South Asian family wasn’t serving a large enough demo in their existing audience or too risky/alienating for their conservative viewers. Soaps have felt much more comfortable creating new Latinx families over the years.

• Members

It's obvious Mal has never really sat down and looked at one of these classic daytime dramas when they were at their peaks, during the 2nd 'Golden Age' in the 1980s.

Just yesterday evening I was watching a classic 1987 episode of my favorite soap ATWT and the roving camera work in a restaurant scene where a group of characters had gathered.  The camera work was first rate and the lighting perfectly suited the occasion.  Even more important, the dialogue and the story was so very good.

Perhaps Mal believes that "old-fashioned" soaps go no further back than 2009.  Otherwise, what in the world is this man talking about??

• Members

Wow, Mal is telling blatant lies now. 

He's going to bring in a family no one knows that's going to be BIGGER than the Newmans. He's mad! 

It's not like arturo took off huge to justify these FIVE other characters to surround him. Some of them paired with each other. Rey and his wife??!!! Eh?!  Mad, I say! 

• Members

For a moment, I thought Chuck Pratt, Brian Frons, or Jill Farren Phelps gave that interview. I see no one looked into how Mal ruined Brookside before he took over Y&R. He’s made a [!@#$%^&*] show of a once classic serial. Will it end on cancellation? Tune in tomorrow...

• Members

I'm not saying a brother for Raul, I was watching and remember his brother. You hire David Lago INSTEAD of Jordi. But I know they want Jordi's character to serve a certain purpose so ... Raul can't exactly serve the same purpose. But why not bring him back instead of casting Jordi? All I was saying.

To each their own on the 2.0 soaps. I don't agree they were crap. Sorry you thought so. I'd take both of them over all four soaps right now.

• Members

I don't mind them adding a new Latino family, I just don't want it to be at the expense of the Winters family. I am glad that Kyle will be getting a love interest with Lola  (Since IMO he doesn't have chemistry with Summer and they won't put him with Mariah he does have chemistry with.) I would also like to see Arturo's/Rey's mom mix it up with characters like Neil/Jack.

But I do think that giving Rey an ex-wife is unnecessary and that he would have been better off being unattached. I really like Rey's chemistry and interaction with Sharon and think they would be cute together. I don't think they need to give him an ex-wife. An ex-wife plus bringing on their absentee father anytime soon seems like overkill. Arturo/Rey/their sister and mom is enough members being introduced from that family for right now.

I agree with Mal that MM does a good job. I like Kyle and think he brings good effort and energy in scenes with people. He has/had good chemistry with Mariah and Hilary. It's time Kyle's gotten a good love interest.

Also, I believe that Mal is trying to spin things regarding Mishael's exit. It seems to me like he didn't like that she was considering leaving, so he just decided to kill off Hilary for good so she can never come back. I don't think she was as happy (or even happy at all) to be killed off like he's saying/trying to paint that she was. 

Archived