Y&R: Interview with Mal Young

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't these people in charge understand that the quest to imitate prime time shows turned out to be daytime's undoing?  I'm all for updating, but it seems like Mal Young hates soaps and I think if you have disdain for a medium, you shouldn't be working in it.

• Members

Mishael didn’t quit so he’s lying. There is literally an interview with her agent who said that Y&R wasn’t willing to work with her so obviously everything he said is a lie! 

And I’m all for diversity but to build an entire family around an unsuccessful character?! Tf? I could understand giving Ravi one sibling because he had goodwill from the audience but even then that’s it. Why does Arturo need an entire family? 

• Members

Right? Who cares about Arturo? Or Rey? 

And especially after this report:

https://tvsourcemagazine.com/2018/08/report-are-the-ashbys-being-phased-out-at-the-young-and-the-restless/

So, where does that leave Cane, Mattie and Charlie while Lily is in jail? We hear they might be slowly phased out.  Sources are calling it a “blatant shift from the Winters/Ashbys to the newly created Rosales family.” Speaking of the Winters, if you’re wondering what that means for Devon and Neil, we’re told that Devon’s noticeable lack of screen time in the aftermath of his own wife’s death is no coincidence. While we couldn’t gather contractual information on either Bryton James or Kristoff St. John, we were told “the Winters Wednesdays of years past will look like a feast compared to what’s coming up.”

FYI there were NO Fall Previews for any of the Winters or black characters. None. For none of them. 

• Members

Y&Rs production looks like sh*t!! What is Mal smoking?? 

Please register in order to view this content

the dark lighting and zoom ins which are “outdated” are Y&Rs staple and made it look more “prime time” for almost 30 years or so...

And Paul and Cricket were NEVER obsessed with “taking down the Newman’s” that’s only In more recent times...he won’t use DD and LLB but he hires this newbie detective...

• Members

It's Jill Farren Phelps, just in male form.

I'm all for updating a soaps look. But what worked for Y&R shouldn't need to change, it used to have amazing shots and direction ... sigh. I could go on a tangent but I won't.

They need to accept the fact that these are soaps. They aren't primetime shows. Stop trying to be what you aren't. That's one of the things killing these soaps. You can re-invent the wheel without trying to copy primetime. But that falls on a talented executive. Mal's not one of those.

AMC and OLTL 2.0 with no budget was better looking and produced. Those had the looks of an updated soap while still being you know, a soap. While not flawless, THAT is how you update a soap for modern audiences. I really think they came too soon (soaps being before their time, go figure) and were more or less doomed to fail from the start.

This interview with Mal is what you call "damage control". Frank did a similar interview or two around the Genie debacle.

I've seen people get all hot and bothered by Arturo. He was received fairly well, actually. I don't care either way about him. 

Why not bring back David Lago? (Unless he's smart enough to not want to come back but I doubt they bothered to ask). You don't need Jordi Vilasuso. But we know the agenda.

I mean, look how they want to act as if Dru or Victoria Rowell never existed. They know she's been right in what she's been saying all along. But no one wants to listen. It's sad people are deemed crazy when they tell the truth that people just don't want to hear. 

• Members

More of the same BS. This show doesn't look like primetime at all. The show used to have a flourish, now it looks like local access with the overblown bright lighting (which is cheaper than properly lighting the sets, I wish they would just admit that).

I'm sorry but those shows looked like crap. Cheap with bare unfinished looking sets.

When they tried to give Raul a brother they ended up hiring aryan nation candidate Greg Vaughn.

Archived