YR actress decides to go recurring...

• Members

If Dru were a white character they would’ve at least attempted a recast by now. I’m not saying that’s what I want, but it’s obvious they have no interest in this family. The fact that Kristoff is a multiple Emmy winner and just languishes for years speaks volumes. They couldn’t even make Debbi Morgan work! These characters are to fill a quota and nothing more. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is some straight up bullshit and its going to blow up in their face tremendously. This show has consistently spat in the face of AA viewers the last two decades but just wiping out the remaining black family legacy on the show to swap them out for another minority group is a new level. I will turn this sh!t off for good and I don't even rock with CK, KSJ or BJ like that.

Arturo (who has 0 charisma and looks like a ferret) and his forced siblings will end up with the same fate Marisa, Luca, Adrianna, Alex, etc had  (the sister even looks like all of Noah's past flop latina girlfriends and casting go to soap Latino #2 Jordi V only solidifies where this will head eventually).

Mal and Ang are idiots if they think this will work.

• Members

I find Tom Casillo’s tweet to be a problem too.  There is nothing to compare here.  The Winter’s family has been a primary family on the show for 30 years.  They have been the only black family on daytime with any consistency for that long too.  It’s bullshit to pretend this is business as usual when writing out characters.  The OLTL characters were not nearly as significant, and it is insulting to insinuate otherwise.

• Members

I haven't been watching since JT was killed. Not because of JT,  I just lost interest.  I think it was undoing Jack as an Abbott. That has been such a core theme, changing it makes the thing seem pointless.

I was just thinking maybe it's time to tune in again.  I've never been a fan of CKLily on her own, but I love the Winter's family as a whole. Why would I bother to tune in for some new family I don't know, when they are taking away one that I do? No thank you.  This is a slap in the face to all long term fans and especially AA fans.

I've always rooted for the Abbott's especially Tracy, but even Jack until the last few years. Yet, isn't it clear that that is the family that should be written out now? Y&R chose to destroy them, so they keep the tattered remains?

• Members

The OLTL reference had to do with LGBT characters. 

Honestly if they had brought in Arturo and then maybe one other relative, and had them get involved with someone in the Winters family that would have been okay. But wholesale dumping one group for another after decades is insane. Basically it feels like the Winters were there just to fill a quota, which now the Latinx family does. How offensive. The thing is Latinx soap viewers if they are fluent, probably are watching other serialized programs and won't tune into Y&R

Yes UK soaps replace families on a regular basis though I only watch Hollyoaks, which has a high death count. On that show, new families come in and old ones leave, but most are not on for more than two-five years, so it is a different scenario. They didn't stop having LGBT characters on that show once the first actors who played those stories departed. 

• Members

If Casiello is referring to Coulson and the people he killed or led to the writing out of (Jen Rappaport, his son Riley, Paul Cramer) - come on. I didn't like the story either - it was the execution that was vile - but none of those white folks had been on OLTL longer than four years. Give me a break.

And he's whining about having to write it. I'm sorry, I liked Jay Wilkison but Riley, Jen, Daniel etc. were no great loss, dude. It's not comparable. Daniel the unpopular, instantly gay serial killer certainly isn't. You know what is? Frank and Ron purging Kish, Rachel and Schuyler in 2010 for the Ford brothers, followed closely by Tika Sumpter.

• Members

Totally agree here Vee

Tom did a interview a few years back either DC or WLS where he said the original plan was for Coulson to be full on serial killer. But he said enough of the team were able to convince someone at ABC that would be a bad idea. Seems Frons wanted to have a gay serial killer he thought it would be edgy

You know whats not edgy having Daniel saying him being gay was like being an alcoholic and that shame made him kill

Bull

• Members

ICAM.  The two situations are nowhere near comparable.  In fact, I wouldn't even compare it to Kish.  At least Y&R is swapping out one non-Caucasian clan for another.  But Kish were swapped out for more white heterosexuals.

• Members

both of these tweets are the reason why POC/gay characters are not treated "equally" on soap/drama/film, imo. Reading into everything to the point writers are freaking scared $#!tless to even attempt to write a truly "soapy" storyline for them. I mean... black people can get into car accidents too, you know? 

Please register in order to view this content

that said I feel like this SL wasn't thought-out, like, at all? Sharon lost a child due to a car accident, thanks to Phil's kid, who Lily had an "epic" romance with... but nothing? No call-back? No dredged up feelings wrt. Sharon and Phil or even Victor (who used Mariah to make Sharon think she was losing it...) The storyline seems very isolated, for lack of a better word, and ultimately pointless. 

• Members

I think both groups would be better off working together. I agree the experiences are vastly different, but in this moment both are fighting for equality. Tearing each other down, rather than working together makes it harder to achieve that goal. I believe the same for all minority groups.

This is thread is weird to me. Nobody cared about Lily or CK, and now everyone acts like it’s a big deal. Phasing out the Winters is not something I’d want, but the writing for them has been terribly dull. Let’s not forget the Bells have also replaced the original Y&R family the Fosters with the Newmans/Abbott’s.  Daytime can definitely be racist, but I don’t feel like this case is. Replacing one minority with another is bad optics though. 

• Members

I was thinking more along the lines of OLTL having purged a score of minorities and 'others' together - Kish, Rachel, even Schuyler the addict. It sent a specific message at the time. But I absolutely agree, it's still not a wholly fair comparison.

Archived