'Hair Models' on soaps

• Members

I always wonder about these untrained non-actors who are plucked out of obscurity or from other fields and have this obscene level of success the first time out (like Henry or JHud). By now, JHud has done Broadway, but her acting has always been underwhelming, to say the least. Do they really humble themselves and get the training they need, even while remaining in demand? Sure, some people have natural talent or charisma, and some performers or on-screen hosts have skills that can translate to acting. But Golding’s next role seems super heavy.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So many. Paulo Benedeti as Jesse Blue on GL. Ken Kenitzer as Kevin Buchanan on OLTL. Carolyn Neff as Raquel on AMC.

I thought Rebecca Budig was totally of that ilk initially on as Michelle on GL, but she improved a lot, peaking early on as Greenlee on AMC before regressing a bit.

• Members

UGH. Jack Scalia. I still have a hatred of his "Tony" character on the ever-shortened (and thank God!) "Season" 5 of Remington Steele when NBC uncanceled the show when summer repeats did well in the ratings, forcing the leads to return as contracts were still in effect, thus short-circuiting Pierce Brosnan as James Bond (at least he got the chance later) and forcing Stephanie Zimbalist to drop out of RoboCop.

Tony as the spoiler to Steele and Laura was just...puke-worthy.

• Members

The all-time nadir on ATWT was the casting of the first "adult" Paul Ryan. I can't remember his name, but he came on when all of those other no-talents did (Sarah and Mark Kasnoff, T. Jones, that model Zoe). But the Paul model was the worst...wooden beyond belief. Sometimes there is hope. When Agim Kaba came on as Aaron, he was awful, but he did improve over time. 

I have to agree with the poster who said that Thorne No. 1 of B&B was one of the worst.

• Members

Yeah, his name on the boards was Model Paul...he appeared on The Rickie Lake Show...something about the hottest soap male stars on TV......his name was John Howard. He appears in the 5 min mark in this ATWT video. I personally liked him as Paul even though his acting wasn't very good. At least he was better than Roger Howarth....ugh....

• Members

OMG.  He was my first thought.  He is such an attractive man, but he is not a good actor.  Vanessa Marcil isn't a master thespian or anything and probably got cast for her looks but at least she had charisma.  ASJ had good chemistry with Cari Shayne, but the poor boy looked like he could barely get his lines out most of the time. 

Ryan Pavey is a good one too, but he got marginally better.

I sort of think Drake Hogestyn might own this thread as he really turned a 33 year career on looks and chemistry with Deidre Hall.

• Members

Jack Scalia Ugh!!!! There is an old HBO special from about 1979 on youtube. He is featured along with many popular models of the day including a young Janice Dickinson. In his segment he is acting like a real jerk and at one point there is a little dog barking and he picks it up and tosses it over the railing. 

• Members

Shemar Moore

Ryan Brown

Scott Seymour

Darnell Kirkwood
Cam Gigandet

Steve Burton

Hunter King

Burgess Jenkins

Michael Graziadei

Kelley Missal

Cystal Hunt

Farah Fath

JPL

Brittany Allen

Adam Lazarre White

Erin Sanders

Vanessa Marano

Luke Kleintank

Matt Cavenaugh

• Members

JPL and Missal definitely are IMO.

Shemar was a terrible actor who skated by on his attractiveness and incredible charisma.

I've never understood the obsession over Steve Burton (in terms of looks or his skill as an actor). He & Cameron Mathison are the very definition of cream cheese.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I'll let Carl handle Kelley Missal.

As for Brittany Allen, I thought she was absolutely horrendous on daytime but she's gone on to become a rising star in big and small horror movies. She's got another one out now. Sometimes it's just terrible material and characters.

Archived