Daytime Firsts

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got to thinking, on Y&R in 1978/79 Casey Reed started having nightmares about her father and had a fear of being intimate with a man. She then confessed to Brock that her Dad came into her room at night. Nick Reed arrived in town and had an unhealthy attachment to Nikki. He became jealous of Nikki's relationship with Greg Foster. He tried to rape her and Nikki killed him by hitting him in the head with a lamp. 

I read that Katherine flirted with Jill in 1974 while drunk, although it has never been confirmed by a viewer. Kay later started being attached to Joanne Curtis and gave off lesbian vibes. Viewers balked and the storyline dropped. 

In the late 60's on Days, Marie Horton fell in love with a guy that turned out to be her long lost brother Tommy. Bill Bell wrote that story and later on he did it again on Y&R. Lorie Brooks fell in love with Mark Henderson who turned out to be her half brother. 

In 1979 on GL Holly Thorpe charged her husband Roger with raping her. 

• Members

That sounds right, though I could not find confirmation online for that fact.  However, another "last" I saw mentioned online was that Edge of Night was the last ABC show regularly scheduled in the 4 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. time slot.  After EON's cancellation, the time slot was handed over to the local ABC affiliates to fill.  It might be safe to say that in alot of markets, that contributed to the further rise of the Oprah Winfrey talk show.

• Members

There would've been a gap in between. EON ended in December '84. Oprah went national (i.e. not just airing in Chicago) in September '86. 

As a Chicagoan, I always equate the 9am timeslot as Oprah's time. She stayed there from start to finish.

Please register in order to view this content

Archived