Not in My Town - Soapy Ethics

• Members

Trials happen with only a few days notice.  If you are convicted and sentenced to death you will be executed within the month ignoring any right to an appeal.  If you are just sentenced to time in prison you will only serve a fraction of your sentence.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Even though you've saved this whole town from mobsters, super villains, and spies you can walk into places and nobody knows your name.

or

If you're on trial then everyone you know will attend the hearing without complaining about taking the day off or parking.  Also, park wherever you'd like at the local airport and walk right up to the gate; no TSA at soap airports.

because of course

If you live in a soap town then you never have to park, get gas, go to the grocery store, or go to the bathroom.

• Members

This actually drives me nuts about soaps. Any company that went up and down and switched CEO's as often as ELQ, Jabot and Newman would be seen as highly unstable and end in disaster. Major corporations do not go through various CEO's every couple months and hostile takeovers every year. 

I'll add the absurdity of a rich character being somehow dumb enough to tie ALL their assets together and going broke because of that ((AMC's Adam and Palmer)) 

The bizarre way the legal system and lawyers somehow fail to properly address past indiscretions of certain characters ((Every soap, but I'm specifically thinking of how Victor Newman's various sins never seem to come up during legal battles or how Erica Kane lost custody of her kid to a father who once got the child kidnapped and another time almost killed her by given her aspirin. Any decent RL lawyer would bring these things up))

• Members

The mere mention that you are adopted on a soap ensures that you will meet your biological parents. 

Social workers with custody or adoption cases are all judgmental women who do want to unite families. 

Every child knows the exact details of their parent's estate planning and, most wealthy families have their own mausoleum on their property to visit dead relatives on occasion.

Also, conveniently, all soap citizens can shoot a gun, pick a lock, ride a horse, deliver a baby, and have a passport for international travel.  

• Members

It drives me crazy too, because it could be used to generate story.  Shareholders have no confidence from bad decisions, they put someone else in charge of the company.  That person was a monster that caused the mess in order to take over, after a year or maybe even two the remaining characters the audience loves take back the company, maybe the ousted person starts a new company in the process and they merge.  I’m okay with story logic if it actually generates story for these shows.  But usually it’s just a plot point and never mentioned again.

Victor took Jabot and John was clearly a nicer man, a decent one compared to Victor and Jack.  And that show got a solid ten years out of milking that plot before Alden wrote the story of them getting it back.  Riveting story for a decade.

• Members

I like this but I thought of a few exceptions.  Peter Love (AW) almost lost his family's fortune when he worked for Reg, and Brad Carlton (Y&R) was not great at cosmetic sales for Jabot when he was first promoted from gardener, until Mamie took him aside and trained him.

Archived