Not in My Town - Soapy Ethics

• Members

I was thinking about a list of ideas that are only okay if you live in a soap universe:

1. Biology trumps family of origin - it doesn't matter if you met you long lost biological father/brother/sister/cousin in your late 30's, you must pledge your loyalty to your new family, you must never speak to your family of origin, or even go visit them on holidays, you are instantly in the family will, you might even change your last name, and you suddenly have the skills to go into the family business - e.g. Skye Chandler, Sandy Cory, and Natalie Buchanan, Jimmy Lee Holt is the only character I can think of that kept his name and yearned to return to his home town in Colorado after getting his heart broken by Celia.

2. Ex-con? No Problem - in most towns rehabilitation after incarceration is an issue, but in a soap most people go right back to their old lives once they are released from prison.  Bill Horton went to jail for killing Kitty, raped Laura, and abused prescription drugs but still worked at a tax funded University-based hospital upon release.  Victoria Lord was on trial for murder then, a few years later, won election for mayor of Llandview.  And the number of former treasonous spies who later became small town police captains is too numerous to mention. 

3. Adultery is OK, if your wife is a bitch - you may have slept with your wife, impregnated her and isolated her from friends and family by badmouthing her but if the true love of your life still yearns for you it's OK to f%*@ her. - e.g. Jake Harrison with his mob wife, Micky and Laura Horton, Eric and Stephanie Forrester.

4.  Abandoning your children is OK, if you are a spy - women who abandon children are evil and those long lost kids often come back to seek revenge (Erica AMC), but if a guy like Frisco (GH) or Shane (DAYS) has to abandon their young children, for years, to go chase down a personal vendetta they are regarded as heroes.

I'll try to think of more to add to the list but I welcome other examples.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Everyone is a success and the top of their field in record time.  Why would anyone consider Michael for an executive position at ELQ?  His adopted father is a mobster that killed his biological father, his mother has been unstable for decades, he has been in prison for murder, and he has a tenuous connection with the Quartermaine family.

Every soap that has a successful business is owned by a handful of people.  And if they are a publicly traded company, the storylines still act like they do not have stockholders to answer to.  People like Victor and Jack and Tracy Q would have been removed as CEO’s.

• Members

I'm always amazed at how everyone in a soap town is able to stop crimes and/or solve mysteries WITHOUT assistance from the authorities.  In fact, it was kind of a joke between me and my mom that if anything bad happened on OLTL, Viki and/or Tina would get to the bottom of it.

• Members

The fact that a character can quit their job and start a brand new career (with no training or schooling) right away.. and than six months later, repeat the process.. or go back to the job they originally quit.  On Y & R, I lost track of how many times Victoria went between Jabot/B &S/Newman Ent... Phyllis, I can buy since she's a webpage designer... that profession is more fluid and is more apt to move every year or so.

In the normal world, moving between companies several times within a 2 year period would raise questions from perspective jobs over your inability to stay in one place for more than six months, etc.  In soap land, no problem... move around as much as you'd like.

• Members

I guess I was thinking more about odd ethical issues, like

If your partner has been SORASed it is OK if they were a child during your first wedding (Jennifer/Eric DAYS)

or

Everyone trusts their justice system, but it is commonly known that the richest men in town can manipulate any family court judge in custody hearings (Alan/Hope GL, CC/GIna SB, Adam/Dixie AMC).

or

It's OK for one family to monopolize a city's press including the newspaper and tv stations (Lord family OLTL)

or

Even though you've pledged to marry your partner for better or worse, it OK to keep secrets if you think it may cause even the smallest bit of distress to your husband/wife including: fatal diagnoses, long lost children, and the possibility that you may be a murder suspect.  In fact, someone like Reva was considered heroic, not selfish, for keeping her cancer dx from Josh.

or

Good girls don't care about money, especially if they are marrying someone poor.   Brian Bancroft (AW) forced Iris to give up her rights to her family fortunes in order to get married and it was viewed as him trying to domesticate her.  If a poor woman wants to marry a rich man she is golddigger but, a poor guy can say that he only willing to marry a rich woman if she sacrifices all access to privilege (for herself and her potential children) and it seems romantic rather than abusive. 

Archived