When real life gets in the way

• Members

That was a nasty bit of business from marketing people that were desperate to appeal to the internet crowd without anyone understanding that it was incredibly disrespectful to the actress who had to continue to play that role for weeks while those commercials were playing. Frons era ABC daytime was just ugly.

I liked her too, there was an energy to her performance that RB lost sometime after leaving AMC. She stopped caring about the material (who can blame her?) and it showed.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Strike stuff:

In 1988, Days writers outlined months of story on the eve of the strike. The writers during the strike blew through the material much, much faster than the outline, leaving a big mess to try to clean up.

And I don't know if this was nixed before the strike or during it, but the storyline that year for Roman with the trances was originally supposed to be Shane, but NBC execs said no. Shane then got saddled with another domestic storyline and despite being a spy was less active in international affairs than the Salem PD.

During the Paris storyline with John and Marlena, Drake Hogestyn either injured himself off the set or had a nagging injury (can't recall which) that was written in to give him a reason to limp.

• Members

Oh..summer 2001 when Damian (or some villuanous half brother) "blew up" /kidnapped Holden and Luke leading to the bullcrappiest, convoluted kidnap story ever. 

All because Jon Hensley had to have knee surgery.

• Members

Yeah, I think he was let go when he contracted the AIDS virus.  The show replaced him with Christopher Cass, then had Scott out of town for awhile, then brought him back with Doug Wert before writing him out again (this time for good).  Unfortunately, Breen's dismissal, along with Douglas Marland's death, derailed whatever plans they had had for Scott.  They obviously had no idea what to do with him.

• Members

What about that crapfest that General Hospital became during the beginning of 2008?!! Then there's that story about hospital fire the next year that became a huge mess and so confusing! I know in 2008, it was WGA strike, but I don't know what the hell happened during February 2009!

• Members

Wasn’t 2009 when they got hit with significant budget cuts?  I also think all the character deaths and short sighted writing caught up with them then, because they had decimated the younger set and all the stories seemed to be in limbo for a long time around then.

And then you had Brenda’s return, in a story she didn’t like and the audience didn’t respond to like they did her previous return.

• Members

Were there any problems with Josh Duhon (ex-Logan) on General Hospital? Because as I remember (when I was still watching the show), the EP propped him as the next leading man and suddenly, it's like they had a change of heart and changed the character's storyline.

Archived