When real life gets in the way

• Members

This reminded me of Richard Higgs, who was playing Andrew Marriott on LOVE OF LIFE, when he committed suicide.  I wonder how his sudden death affected LOL's plans for Andrew beyond recasting his character.

(BTW, Higgs also played Dr. Dan Allison on THE DOCTORS, in case anyone who's been watching the reruns on RetroTV can't place him on LOL.)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think had the show opted to bring Patrick Duffy back as a Bobby lookalike.. I would have written the lookalike as being different from Bobby in some ways.. to give the character a chance to stand on his own.  Perhaps even have it being questioned if he's a twin of Bobby's.. only to find out that he isn't related to the Ewings, just happens to look like Bobby.  If the audience accepted Duffy as a Bobby lookalike.. than test him with the ladies on the show.. Jenna, Pam, etc.   If the audience didn't accept Duffy as a new character, then have him take a dark turn and try to use his resemblance to the late Bobby to get in good with the Ewings, except for J.R..

• Members

Yep.

She tried to convince JFP to conduct some sort of study and figure out why the workdays were getting so much longer.  However, her pleas fell on proverbial deaf ears.

In her interview w/ Michael Logan, she did say that she had thought about asking TPTB to cut back her hours, but realized this would have cut back others' as well, and she didn't want to do that to them.  So, she made up her mind to leave.

I don't think Marj Dusay was miscast, per se, but I do think she came aboard at a time when GL started to go down in quality, and that that resulted in too many poor story decisions for Alexandra (and others).  If Nancy Curlee had still been working on the show, I feel like she would have done a much better job tailoring Alex around MD's strengths.

I thought it was a skylight (during a fight between Alexander Nikos and Carl Hutchins)?  Oh, well, I could be wrong.

• Members

Yeah, Linda didn't want Felicia to have a facelift, she said, "That was Jeanne Cooper's thing."

A million years ago, I was an extra in the movie Minority Report which filmed in D.C. We were moving to another location and I was in a people carrier with some of the wives of crew members. They were all from L.A. and kind of drooling over the monuments and I mentioned Capitol which would fly from L.A. to shoot on location. One of the ladies perked up and said her friend Todd Curtis was on the show. This is a really long way of me getting to the point that we talked about his car accident that caused substantial trauma to his face. For those of you who don't know, he was temporarily replaced by Russell Todd, then Todd Curtis returned and they wrote his injuries into Jordy's storyline. The lady I was chatting with said he had a real rough go of it, and they certainly worked that art imitates life element into Jordy's storyline as well. I read that the show actually made him up to look more injured than he actually was.

• Members

Hunter Tylo being fired from Melrose Place certainly changed up whatever Bold & Beautiful was planning to do without her. She left in June 1996, and B&B was starting up the Ridge/Brooke/Grant story. Once Tylo got the Melrose boot, she jumped right back in to B&B, Ridge proposed to Taylor as she wore the bride's dress at the fashion show, and the rest is history. 

What an icky coincidence - same thing happened to Billie Reed in '96 when a pregnant Krista Allen meant Billie was stuck in bed getting pumped heroin for months. 

Speaking of Marj Dusay as GL's Alex, late in 1998 she returned to the show (along with Mary Kay Adams as India) but left by February '99 because she accepted the contract role of AMC's Vanessa (GL only brought her back recurring). I wonder if they had any concrete plans for Alex or if she would've just been window dressing as India became. 

• Members

I recall marj was offered the role of vanessa with a guaranteed contract...but she was working at GL on recurring...and she checked the filming schedule for GL..and sake shr wasnt listed on the filming schedule that was scheduled out 3 to 4 weeks into the future...and decided to make the leap and accepted the role of Vanessa.

However, she chewed scnerary and over acted as vanessa...she didnt have that sinister undertone that she had as Mryna clegg..nor the fun side of alexandra.

• Members

I think it changed the proposed storyline for B&B, but not in a drastic or a ridiculous way.  They just stuck Taylor back in with Ridge.

Melrose Place intrigues me more as I can't reconcile Lisa Rinna's version of Taylor as anything Hunter Tylo would play.  Like her or not, Rinna's Taylor was a bright spot of ridiculousness in Melrose worst years. 

Archived