When real life gets in the way

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wasn't that overexposed wench the queen of GH at the time? From what I could tell, the way she was running through the guys, she was in charge of the way her character went. I guess once she decided that she wanted Johnny Zacchara that there was nothing left for Logan but attempted rapist.

• Members

Yes, the Soapsuds rule we're apparently upholding is that any time a hot guy is fired it's the woman's fault. Never mind that he was supposedly a problem for a number of folks - it was this one twentysomething actress with few credits suddenly able to run a soap opera BTS.

• Members

Brenda's return was pretty much awful.  You could almost feel VM's disdain for the storyline and/or any non Jax, Sonny, or Jason scenes.  It was sad for me as a VM/Brenda fan because she used to be able to sell crappy writing on GH (her inheriting her mom's random brain disease, her entire 2002 return, and she even tried to make Ricky Martin work), but she just seemed checked out after the first two weeks like in a what the hell did I get myself into sort of way.

Ugh.....Sam was the worst.  So boring and no happy ending for my Billy and Alison.  Don't even get me started on Billy leaving with Alyssa Milano (I seriously can't remember the characters name).  I don't wish anyone to get fired, but Lisa Rinna was a much better choice for Taylor.

• Members

I can't remember the hotel burning down.  I think the Port Charles Hotel burnt down a few years early.  The Metro Court was held hostage but that was a year or so earlier.  The toxic 'balls' story I am a little sketchy on but basically there was an explosion in the hospital and made it necessary for GH to have a new hospital set. 

This is the best breakdown I find on the internet:

Best Answer:  Some guy who swallowed 4 balls of biotoxins was brought into the ER and while Patrick's younger brother sliced the guy open, one of the balls was broken and the biotoxins spread quickly killing some people and sending the hospital in a complete shutdown with almost everyone important trapped inside. Then later when the Feds were trying to remove the balls of biotoxins, someone tripped on a cord which caused a big explosion and set the hospital on fire. Jax flew in one helicopter but it crashed so he got another from the cops and landed on the roof of the hospital to evacuate as many people as he could.
Spinelli got trapped in a hospital utility room so Jason and Sam searched for him until they found him and they all walked out of the hospital safely. Claudia told Sonny everything about what her father Anthony Zacchara had been up to including the fact that he's not crippled and that Anthony shot Kate at the wedding chapel; so Sonny chased Anthony around the hospital with a gun intent on shooting him but Jason stopped him by pleading an begging him not to shoot Anthony for Spinelli's sake. Kate kept blabbing in the hallways to Claudia and to anyone who would listen that she found a dvd that will prove to Sonny that she's dangerous. Kate asked Olivia to pick up the dvd that was under Claudia's wheelchair and bring it to her so Olivia picked it up and through it into a burning room so it would be destroyed and said it was for the best. Kate still hellbent on telling Sonny about the dvd got the chance after they were rescued but because Sonny said that he would not divorce Claudia, Kate didn't tell him about the dvd, instead she said she would make Sonny pay for what he did to her. Maxie and Johnny went looking for Robin and her newborn in the snow and found Robin laying in the snow and the baby tucked in a hole in a tree. They went to GH and found out that the hospital was on a lock down so Robin told Maxie and Johnny to take the baby to another hospital while she stayed back at GH to help out with the evacuation. The real reason Robin did that was because of partum depression. Robin finally got over the depression when she was summoned by the other hospital saying that the baby is in trouble; then Robin held her baby and finally snapped out of the post partum depression. Maxi then went back to GH and snuck into the burning hospital in an effort to locate and save Spinelli, however she didn't find him and had to be rescued by Johnny. Maxie then had to confront the Priestess who I think has a crush on Spinelli. Maxie and the Priestess argued a little bit but the Priestess managed to keep Maxie from trying to go back into the burning hospital. When Carly thought that Jax had died in the airplane crash, she tried to find a way out of the hospital and Sonny had to find her and they both walked out of the hospital safely. Later after Jax had finished flying evacuees off the rooftop, he came looking for Carly on the ground and they hugged each other. Trevor stole one of the balls of biotoxins and kept lording it over Kate, Carly, his son Ric and then to Sam when she tried to stop him at the rooftop. Trevor tried to pick up Sam and through her over the ledge of the rooftop, he fell instead from the rooftop and then Jason came out and heard her and looked over the ledge and rescued her and the one ball of biotoxin. Then Jason and Sam went searching for Spinelli. Lucky and Elizabeth bonded in the hospital while Elizabeth was recovering from the biotoxins. It seems that Lucky has already forgotten about his girlfriend Sam because he left the hospital with Elizabeth and never bothered to go back and find Sam. Jason, Sam and Spinelli were the last ones out of the hospital and they had to save themselves.

So this all sounds pretty crazy. 

• Members

More from Coronation Street...

Around 1983-1984:

Jack Howarth, an original cast member, passed away. 

Doris Speed, an original cast member, was devastated when a tabloid published her real life age (she was about 10 years older than she told people). Soon after, thieves broke into her house, and she locked herself in her bedroom as they ransacked her home. She retired from the public eye, with no onscreen exit even though she owned the pub and was beloved to viewers. 

Another beloved, longtime cast member, Bernard Youens, became ill and died, with his character being killed off later the same year. Jean Alexander, who played his wife, also lost their other main scene partner, Geoffrey Hughes, as he quit the show over workload and over his character being married off. 

Peter Dudley, the patriarch of a relatively new family on the Street, was arrested for cruising and was made tabloid fare. Granada stood by him, but he was arrested again. While waiting for a retrial on those charges, he suffered a stroke, which was written into the show. He died soon after. This also had to be written into the show.

Peter Adamson, another original cast member, went on trial for indecent assault of two children. He was acquitted, but he was let go by the show after repeatedly selling stories about other cast members to the press. The character was killed off, and revealed as an adulterer in what felt like an FU to Adamson. He delivered a eulogy for his character on TV-AM.

Pat Phoenix, an original cast member and one of the show's most iconic actresses, chose to leave the show. 

By early 1984 the show only had one original cast member left (William Roache).

I'm not sure if they could survive all of that these days, although they have continued to have plenty of turmoil ever since...

• Members

I was beyond thrilled when Leyla croaked. But it was even more memorable when Jason Cook's Matt Hunter (Patrick's brother) yelled, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" (Yes, just like that!) when she kicked. Which was hysterical since Matt barely knew the chick.

Oh yeah, and we saw some new fiancé of hers that came to GH all distraught, probably trying to make this a tearjerker. But honestly? I don't recall too many caring at all about her death.

• Members

Leyla was very pretty.........that's about it.  She was an interloper in the very popular Scrubs so no one cared.  She was not a fan favorite or even a favorite with other characters.  She was like a low key Lily in the S&B story.   No one actually mourned her.  Except I guess Matt was upset?

Archived