Most Vicious Fandom Wars

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And as bad as it was, it went nuclear after Meg delivered Em's stillborn child (right...? I'm hazy on that, but then it was Meg the Murderer....oy)

Don't get me started on SFB and Julia II though....

• Members

I missed most of Julia Larrabee’s story on ATWT. I remember it not being well-received.

Oh! Lindsay vs Nora fans on OLTL. That was super petty, especially as they shared so many men (Sam, Bo, Troy, RJ, Daniel, am I missing anyone?).

• Members

The internet and rapid fanbases are one of the many factors that led to the decline of soaps.  Because the writers/producers/sponsors wrote for those fans and ignored the more balanced/logical fans that just want to watch an entertaining show that focuses on everyone.

The thing about these couples are that they're written like a romance novel.. where they meet, fall in love, battle obstacles and get together.  In a romance novel, they ride off into the sunset.. but on a soap opera.. you have to continue to write for them post getting together/marrying.. and it can be a challenge.  If you write a love triangle.. the 3rd party gets crapped on.. if you logically/organically break them up over a long time period of time.. than those fanbases demand they're reunited.. etc.   It becomes a rinse and repeat/hamster wheel effect

• Members

Jasam vs. Liason has to be the most vicious.  The personal attacks on the actors are intense

I would say S&B vs. Carson fans especially during that No Ordinary Love message board phase where they were brutal to VM, hoping something happen to her child so she would leave the show.

I know factions of crazy J&M fans that hated everyone near John on Days.

I know Lilly Melgar received a lot of crazy hate mail from S&B supporters. 

Obviously Jax/Brenda vs. Sonny/Brenda

I feel like any Jason on GH pairing/triangle sparks huge drama.

• Members

The JoWars (JoVan vs JoLie) was the nastiest thing I've EVER seen. Probably because of the racism that was deeply embedded in it. It was so bad that folks were still getting suspended from SOC when OLTL was cancelled and Evangeline had been coma for years by then. 

Followed up by a close second being the Jason Wars. 

• Members

The three worst that I remember absolutely derailing boards over were

GH- Liz/Jason/Sam

OLTL- Evangeline/John/Natalie

Y&R- Phyllis/Nick/Sharon

I don’t remember anything else reaching the level of nastiness and longevity.  It seemed to go on and on in every post when those stories were hotter.   People still chime in with leftover anger about those pairings when talking about those shows today.

And Jackie Zeman had food thrown at her when she was trying to break up Scotty and Laura on GH in the 70’s!

• Members

What’s funny is that Jason Morgan, John McBain, and Nick Newman are three of the most boring male characters on soaps in the past 20 years. I suppose it’s more about identifying with the women and picking your “tribe,” but c’mon, these men were zeroes. 

Archived