Most Vicious Fandom Wars

• Members

The NYTimes recently did a podcast on online music fans/stans (followers of Nicki Minaj, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, BTS, et al) who dox and attack journalists who are the least bit critical of their idols. It made me think of the massive fan wars when I used to post on Mediadomain back in the late ‘90s/early ‘00s. What were some of the most contentious fan battles you’ve witnessed in your time on the Web? Most of them center around couples and love triangles, usually with two women and a man.

TnB (Todd/Blair) vs TnT (Todd/Téa) fans, OLTL - I think that was the first time I saw things get really ugly between fanbases, and all of that over a rapist. TnT fans were sooo black-out enraged when Todd punched Téa’s lights out in that cave, yet it didn’t dampen their devotion to that couple.

Jovan (John/Evangeline) vs Jolie (John/Natalie) fans, OLTL - nasty with a side of racism

Broe (Brady/Chloe) vs Phloe (Philip/Chloe) fans,  DAYS

Brenda vs Skye fans, GH

Any other examples?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, that was... not fun to watch play out. But that storyline seemed tailor-made to produce the maximum amount of fan vitriol. And John treated them both like crap.

I forgot one: Carjack (Carly/Jack) vs JnJ (Jack/Julia) fans, ATWT. That got messy QUICKLY.

• Members

I thought Jasam, Billy/Kelly fans were rabid, but these stories take the cake.  

Remember insane Danny/Michelle fans?  Ultimately, their insanity led to the characters being written out.  If you can't pair them with other people from time to time, what's the point of having them?  LW had to have security and that's fucked up!  

• Members

I was doing a bit of freelance work for a now-defunct soap opera magazine and interviewed one-half of Jason/Liz. It focused on the pair's history. This was at the height of the Jason/Sam vs Jason/Liz chaos. The reaction was simply terrifying. 

Archived