slick jones

General Hospital August 2018 Discussion

11 minutes ago, titan1978 said:

I have no problem with a lot of the characters.  They are used in boring, poorly plotted stories that all but ignore history and good use of veteran characters.

For me, it’s not even all the new characters.  I have seen some charm and possibilities in several.  But the glaring, obvious canvas problems are Stafford and Howarth.  They are given too much screen time and there have been many attempts to make them work with convoluted backstories and retcons.  I see potential in Tamara Braun’s character, Ava, and even Michael Easton’s current doctor.  But Stafford and Howarth have got to go.  And I like them.  But they stick out like sore thumbs.

Also- recast Lulu.  She needs to be played by a stronger actress.  I don’t hate the current one, but she’s not good enough for this character on this show.  I would also find a great Lucky, I think the show needs him.

Julian should go full power mad, spend a year building to war with Sonny and then get killed off again.  He is another waste of screen time.

And I would put Carly Schroeder on contract, and pair her with Michael as Serena.  I would also keep the spunk she used to have as a kid as part of the character.  Spunk, not lazy half baked vixen writing that objectifies everyone involved.

You circle these people with vets (they don’t all have to be driving story like they did, they just need to be involved).

It would be so easy to make what the show has now work.  But instead, we are forced to sit through boring nonsense and plots that move forward off screen.

I actually like Emme Rylan as Lulu, but I don't care one way or the other.  I would keep Haley Pullos.   I like her.  I would probably keep Felix, TJ, Joss, Ava, Michael, and Kiki off that list posted by @vetsoapfan.  I also don't mind Maxie, but I am a party of one being a Jen Lilley as Maxie fan.

Truth be told, I would be satisfied just to slice off the most revolting and abrasive characters: Sonny, Jason, Carly, Sam, Franco, Nina, Ava, Finn, Spinelli.

If we could axe those people permanently, I'm sure I could force myself to tolerate everyone else.

Edited by vetsoapfan

On 8/24/2018 at 1:21 PM, slick jones said:

Brad took the baby home and it died.  He ran into Nelle on the side of the road and they switched babies. No birth mother so far. Most of the adoption story was offscreen except when they made it about Julian never seeing the baby. Of course, he was the first to see it with Brad.

God.

So dumb.

They're just throwing things together and seeing what can stick.

2 hours ago, frequentsoapfan said:

There's alot of folks that need to go. Like the entire 20s and teens cast. 

Truth. Lots of folks need to be shown the door. But Frank just keeps adding and adding. And dropping other actors left and right or letting them leave. He sucks. (And people on The Twitter have no problem calling him out, but he continues to do the same [!@#$%^&*] - so we're not alone in despising what the show is becoming and who they're focusing the attention on). Unfortunately deVry and Howarth have RABID stans. I'm tired of stans dictating shows.

Not saying Ron was blameless, his GH became a disgusting hot mess and I cheered his firing, but Frank has clearly been the real problem. Same for Varni. Both have to go. But then again, it could also always get worse :( 

Edited by KMan101

2 hours ago, KMan101 said:

God.

So dumb.

Truth. Lots of folks need to be shown the door. But Frank just keeps adding and adding. And dropping other actors left and right or letting them leave. He sucks. (And people on The Twitter have no problem calling him out, but he continues to do the same [!@#$%^&*] - so we're not alone in despising what the show is becoming and who they're focusing the attention on). Unfortunately deVry and Howarth have RABID stans. I'm tired of stans dictating shows.

Not saying Ron was blameless, his GH became a disgusting hot mess and I cheered his firing, but Frank has clearly been the real problem. Same for Varni. Both have to go. But then again, it could also always get worse :( 

And then when people are finally gone he brings them back to pretend people were clamoring for them.

3 hours ago, KMan101 said:

God.

So dumb.

A lot of Ron's final year at GH was interference by Varni and actors wanting to dictate stories

Varni is a mini Frons still is and thats why GH is so messed up

I like the teens if they gave them stories and not just be reactory to other stories

Edited by John

56 minutes ago, John said:

A lot of Ron's final year at GH was interference by Varni and actors wanting to dictate stories

Varni is a mini Frons still is and thats why GH is so messed up

I like the teens if they gave them stories and not just be reactory to other stories

I think Josslyn and the new Cameron have a lot of potential, personally. I'm meh on Oscar. The actor seems nice and I like his laid back persona but I need a little more from him, lol.

I agree Varni is a Mini-Frons. He's awful and gets little attention in terms of how bad GH is. He and Frank are toxic for the show. I think Varni is more to blame, actually, but Frank sucks. Though like I said it could always get even worse so let's try canning Varni and see how Frank does without him. 

Ron's final year definitely had tons of interference. I also think he sort of gave up. It felt like he was forced to write for a lot of people and not what he wanted to write. I still have my issues with his writing but the problems really were from Frank and Varni.

1 hour ago, frequentsoapfan said:

And then when people are finally gone he brings them back to pretend people were clamoring for them.

lol yep.

I think a lot of it is Varni with some of it from Frank. Varni probably gets all hot and bothered hiring as many former soap actors as he can. I don't know that Frank cares as much as some think he does but I think he cares more than Varni. Not that Frank isn't also a problem.

Edited by KMan101

The next four days are going to be reruns.  Why not use episodes from the original Kevin/Ryan story? I hate watching Franko, Nina, Julian, Kiki, Finn in new episodes. The very last thing I would do is watch these f*cks in reruns. 

15 minutes ago, slick jones said:

The next four days are going to be reruns.  Why not use episodes from the original Kevin/Ryan story? I hate watching Franko, Nina, Julian, Kiki, Finn in new episodes. The very last thing I would do is watch these f*cks in reruns. 

I remember those scenes. Totally horrifying. I didn’t grow up watching Steve and Audrey on GH, but I can imagine how unsettling that must have been for longtime fans to see.

The Ryan story was riveting, and was my favorite story featuring Felicia.  That is staying a lot, because although my family watched GH, I didn’t really start paying attention until Frisco pulled that hat off Felicia during her debut.  They were what made me watch because I wanted to, not just because it was on.

Edited by titan1978

23 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

I remember those scenes. Totally horrifying. I didn’t grow up watching Steve and Audrey on GH, but I can imagine how unsettling that must have been for longtime fans to see.

I almost had a fit, no lie. :ph34r:

The show was so well written back then, and longtime viewers loved Steve and Audrey. I wonder if anybody in the audience will care about Ryan's upcoming victims?

35 minutes ago, vetsoapfan said:

I almost had a fit, no lie. :ph34r:

The show was so well written back then, and longtime viewers loved Steve and Audrey. I wonder if anybody in the audience will care about Ryan's upcoming victims?

giphy.gif

"Start with Kiki or  Nina" Please for the love of God !!!!!

The flashbacks bought back a piece of GH that hasn't been seen in a VERY LONG TIME.... I only wish we could get the original writers, producers and directors from the early 90's and bring the show back to the glory years. I remember all those scenes. I was in Elementary school and would watch it with my mom before I did my homework. The death scene is still creepy as hell.