Days: August 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

No, she wasn't. 

But love can be blind

Please register in order to view this content

(in Julie's case). Nick died in her arms. He was family. She feels guilt. It's more complex than it's ever allowed to play as. The writing for Julie doesn't help as it's geared to make her appear unreasonable for hating Gabi when it shouldn't be at all.

It's not really a rivalry though. Julie just spouts off her hate and she's made to look like a raging shrew (or that's how SSH plays her) so I'm not surprised newer viewers take Gabi's side. There really shouldn't be sides. Gabi was justified in killing Nick, Julie's justified in hating Gabi for it. His behavior and crimes don't change a family member loving them. He died in her arms. They were close the few times they were allowed to have scenes. He was starting to confide in her. She feels extreme guilt.

I wish it played better. Because it doesn't, I wish they'd drop it. But I love Julie's hatred of Gabi. (I wouldn't be surprised if Julie has Gabi's number when it comes to Abby and Chad).

I do agree, they could use Julie's time better with someone more worthy of her attention and vitriol. I love Julie tossing out shade left and right! I love how she still harbors a grudge towards Rafe too.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do wish Days would use Julie better. We hardly even see her running a empty Doug's Place with Chloe. Better writers would explore the bad blood between them. It would be great to see them hash things out. And come to some sort of truce. Julie history fascinates. I would love to have seen her during her heyday. I only got to see her early 90's run. And really liked her. During her Early 90's run Julie was a fierce business woman. A mother figure to Eve and Molly. 

• Members

I think SSH decided to play Julie at a fever pitch ever since James Reilly's reign. When she played nuance and subtext, he fired her. When he brought her back for the silly Bonnie rivalry, she went big and he kept writing for her. 

I agree that her dislike of Gabi is realistic -- and I echo the desire that it would have some complication in her life with Doug ... and Hope, now that Hope is officially back with Gabi's brother. 

• Members

The Hope/Sami thing bothers me because aside from Hope maybe eye rolling 'Sami being Sami'.  I don't recall her ever having a real issue with Sami.  It's not like she was super closely involved in anything Sami did as a bad girl.  I thought Hope was being awful.  She is Sami's aunt.  She has known her since she was born.  Hope couldn't be bothered to make it to Marlena's wedding but comes off so offended that Sami accidently shot her.  I get that Hope is pissy Sami slept with Rafe, but it's clear Sami isn't making any sort of play for Rafe so it's all just odd...

• Members

I think the purpose of Julie being so hateful to Gabi IS to make Gabi more sympathetic.  I wish they would stop wasting SSH’s few appearances on that nonsense.  She still has some good moments, such as Julie’s talk with Ciara about rape.  I wish she had been more involved in the mini-story re Eli’s baby.  We didn’t even get to see her reaction to the baby being named David.

• Members

I recall due to days delayed filming schedule..she appeared on both Days and Y&R on the same day...and it was like night and day.  SSH was a lot more understated on Y&R so I can believe that perhaps she adjusts herself to the environment.  Julie of the early 90s was underused yet she was a fierce business woman that even had a nice may/December fling.

• Members

I've been listening to "A Trip Down Soap Lane" podcast's review of the first 15 years of Days and I would suggest that SSH has always been OTT.  There is a clip from one of her first dates with Doug, she is going on about the music and food as if they had been to Paris not Pierre's in Salem Square.  I still recall as a kid her shrieking during the facial burn story, and Doug's creepy clown act to cheer her up.

1990's Julie was much cooler during the Scotty and Faith romance.  I preferred when both Julie and Hope were rich, but I guess that Olsen family inheritance can't last forever.

• Members

My favorite parts of today's show was the Will/Brady, Sonny/Chad scenes. 

I thought that parts of the Brady/Will conversation were amusing. Including Brady getting upset at Will and Will looking at him like he's going to do what he wants to do regardless of what Brady says.

I think it's nice that Brady is showing that he cares about his family, but I do think that he was acting hypocritical with Will today. I also think he should not be trying to force Will to be with Paul, when Will no longer wants to be with him. Brady was telling Will to take time more time to make a decision, but Will has his mind made up and seems sure of what he wants. He should not be with Paul out of pity. 

Also, I see a lot of criticism on various places on the Internet about people feeling that Sonny is selfish, and that Sonny should be more considerate of Paul's feelings etc....but I don't feel that way. Sonny did show concern for Paul today, and even if he didn't, I don't think he has to be responsible for being heavily concerned about Paul's feelings.  (Though, I think it's good for him to hope that Paul ends up healing from the fall and I can understand him having some concern about Paul's feelings being hurt). In general I don't think someone should have to be overly concerned about a romantic rival's feelings.  (Or really concerned at all about them depending on the situation).

Also, I liked Sonny's scenes with Chad today. I like their friendship.

Archived