Y&R August 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There also should've been a LOT more anger between Neil (who has never totally approved of Cane) & Cane, Shauna & Charlie (who acted like a coward & blamed her for telling the truth), Charlie & Mattie (since he constantly covered for her & Reed) and Charlie & both his parents (for hating Shauna/pressuring him to lie).

Nate should've also been MUCH more upset given he knows firsthand how even the most loving parents can make major mistakes AND how it feels to lose a parent to a tragic traffic accident.

• Members

I thought we got more good scenes today with the Winters family. I think that the Standout today was Christel. She did a really nice job displaying Lily's shock and guilt over learning she ran the red light. Bryton did a nice job as well. Devon did deserve to know the truth, though I do not like Shauna's disrespectful tone and attitude.

And Phyllis was definitely annoying. I'm glad that Jack got her out of the penthouse when he did, because she would have tried to overshadow Devon's grief, with her OTT, hypocritical behavior.  I think that she herself is going to be exposed soon, for all the secrets she is knowingly keeping, my guess might be at Sharon's/Nick's wedding. 

I liked Neil trying to get the family to stay together and I also liked Mattie's reaction.She seemed like she cared about the family as a whole. I liked how she wanted the truth to be known but wasn't really attacking anybody. Things are understandably heated with the family., but it's nice to see a few of the Winters acting level-headed and trying to keep the peace.

• Members

Will no one throw what neil did to Hilary in his face. There has been mention how Hilary and Devon hurt him every day in this story but no mention of what he did to her. This omission is a prime example of why Neil is currently an irrelevant character. 

Nate isn't defined by his father's death. You know, some we knew and cared about and watched evolve then devolve whose death we dealt with. No, that'd make too much sense. He's defined by some lost love Caroline whom we never met that died offscreen. I'd give quite a bit to know why and what story was planned for him that the show had to rewrite cause of Mishael's exit. Have they even mentioned Malcolm? Nate is Neil's nephew but then he's not. This connection doesn't work without mentioning how he's neil's nephew but I don't think they have. 

GTs performance left a lot to be desired during Phyllis outburst. Maybe it was the direction and staging that made it come off as out of place in the scene. 

• Members

I think Mal has been feeling the pressure from falling ratings for awhile, so I don’t think the pressure was any worse than usual.

It’s clear to me he was a Mishael Morgan fan, and didn’t want her to leave. Her exit did get him and the writers to do really nice work, and the past couple weeks have been great. The service scenes from yesterday and today were great stuff, and the actors nailed it. I thought Briton And CK were particularly strong.

For me, Gina Tognoni overplayed Phyllis’ reaction to the accident. She was almost hysterical, and it was too much. Phyllis can be strong without being out of control.

I haven’t been a Shauna fan, but the actress has been really good these past few days.

I agree with you. If we’re going to criticize ratings drops, we should celebrate an increase and a 3 month high. Of course there will be a drop after an emotional exit story. The hope is that at least some of those viewers stick around. I think the ratings news is good news.

• Members

GT did overplay it. they just became BFFs not too long ago, but time doesn't equal love and friendship. she has a tendency to overplay some scenes when it doesn't call for it....but I still dig her. and ratings will go back down because its the nature of the beast. I feel everyone in this story did a fine, fine job. and this story was front and center and got a nice ratings bump, which shows that when we get great storytelling and performers who love the material and beats are played, and there is a significant aftermath to a SL, people will tune in. my hope (which won;t be fulfilled I believe) is this will start better material for the cast.....and hopefully Mal will get rid of this "One day/One episode" idea of his, because IMPO.....it just doesn't work.

Archived