ALF Reboot in the works with Warner Brothers

John

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

lol @ Florida flips! She'd probably tell him to get it! But seriously ... I'd be here for that. Amos, Walker, Stanis, Carter, DuBois ... all still with us. Brown seems retired. Not saying we'll be getting a Good Times revival but I wouldn't object after seeing how they handled One Day at a Time.

• Members

Are y'all serious??

The major difference is that none of the original ODAAT performers are in the new reboot, except for an occasional cameo from Phillips.

They used a totally different family with a new premise--a Latino family in the U.S. during the Trump era.

How does this compare to Good Times if people are proposing to use the same cast as the original series?  A family that we all saw move out of the ghetto in the last episodes? 

Sorry but I'm not for putting the Evans' back into the 'projects'.  The whole premise of the show was a family trying to get out of the projects.

Like ODAAT, you want to use a new family to tell the story.

• Members

As long as there are low-income families still living in neglected public housing, yes, it could actually work.  The concept of JJ, however wouldn't, however.  Ain't nobody got time for that level of buffoonery.

Also, the family couldn't be located in the same Chicago housing project because Cabrini-Green, which is the housing development that Good Times' building was based on, no longer exists.  It was demolished quite some time ago.

There are certainly other 'projects' in America that have a similar notorious reputation.  Miami, FL (ever seen Moonlight?) and Brooklyn, NY (Marcy Projects where Jay-Z grew up) immediately come to mind.

• Members

Well of course. I don't expect them to use the old cast and I don't know if I'd want them to. Was just pointing out they're all still alive and seemingly able to participate should it so happen. Not that it will.

It'd need to be like you said, like ODAT, with a new cast and a fresh take, but it's still got the feel of the original. They really nailed it with that one. IMO, of course. I think if done right Facts of Life could work just the same. Good Times too, but that's where I'd draw the line. We don't need What's Happening!! or Diff'rent Strokes to suddenly make a comeback. All in the Family, to me, is too tied to the original cast I really don't know if they could with that one, but again, if it's like ODAT, why not?

But I think they have to draw the line somewhere.

• Members

Good Times, when it was great (and it wasn't always great) was especially adept at lampooning the power structures as being particularly ridiculous:

shady politicians who make but cannot deliver promises yet always show up, without fail, come election times trying to court votes--

shady pastors claiming to deliver people anew when all they want to do is make a fast buck,

hustlers who claim to only want to make a living and be productive members of their community while cheating members of their community.

I'm seeing corrupt politicians, megachurch pastors like Creflo Dollar (that writes itself) and your neighborhood local grifters.

Don't these types still exist?  They were integral to the original Good Times landscape.  They were the main the butt of jokes (the ones that didn't involve JJ's silly catchphrases).

Archived