Y&R Casting Call (AA, female, 30)

• Members

Since Mal Young has demonstrated that he has not been about cultivating female characters leading story, he doesn't strike me as someone who would spend much time cultivating female talent.

That actress will have to hit the ground running on empty writing, without much consideration from MY.  If she's capable, she might make lemonade out of essentially, lemons.  If she is not, she will struggle until she is written out of sight, basically.

With all the many flaws in how Hilary was written over the years, she lasted as long as she did because she came in long before Mal did, so MiM had already built a presence for the character on the canvas that even MY couldn't undo with his neglectful writing.  

I heard many on social media praising him for writing a "decent" ending for Hilary but folks, it really isn't all that hard. Any first year grad student in a good writing program can write that.  With all his years in the business, that should be the least he can do.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hilary had neglectful writing before Mal Young. I don't think MiM ever had the writing for Hilary. Maybe during year 1 in 2014 during hevon's affair. And that's a big maybe. But Pratt took over for her full second year and backburned her. #Blackbudget. Then once she came back from maternity leave for her third year, that's when she began being written as a cartoon. 

• Members

That's what I meant by flawed writing. 

Soaps have a very real and unfortunate history of under-writing their female characters and of course, Hilary had poor writing throughout much of her time on the canvas but MY has a pattern of negating women from his Y&R

I don't watch anymore but when I did, I couldn't point to one woman driving story under his regime.  Phyllis comes closest but her issues still center and revolve around male characters.

Mal's Y&R definitely fails the Bechdel test from any angle you look at it. 

• Members

They should’ve just recast Hilary. If the show had more diversity prior to her exit this would’ve been fine, but bringing this character in right after killing her off won’t be popular. Knowing her contract was coming up they should’ve attempted to bring back Leslie or Roxanne in actual important roles. Hell I’d even consider Tyra for a visit. Sophia is also due for a recast and return with Neil’s son. 

• Members

I couldn’t have seen a recast Hilary working unless they really hit the jackpot. Mishael’s charisma really papered over a lot of shoddy, one-dimensional writing, and she made the role her own. I know I made some hilarious Dru recast suggestions way back in the day, but VR just made things work in a way that no one else quite could.

• Members

Honestly I agree a Hilary recast would be tough, but she wasn’t in the role long enough to justify not trying. Personally they should’ve made sure she didn’t leave (which they would have if she was a white leading lady), but the problem they face is they put all their eggs in one basket. Lily is just there to fill space and they hadn’t developed any other black females so Hilary of all people leaving is so rough. The entire family (Neil, Devon, Cane and even Nate) all depended on Hilary to make them interesting not to mention the rest of the canvas. 

• Members

Winters seem to be doing fine in the interesting department without hilary. Their problem was that they always portrayed the nuclear family as very close knit do gooders who never did wrong or made mistakes. Outside folks came in to cause problems and drive story (cane, Hilary) whereas the family (Neil, Devon, lily)  just sat on high horses. Lily vs Devon has given the entire family new life. It seems to be working for viewers. It gets more conversation on boards and social media than anything else. Which means it's too popular and the show can't have Winters outshining Newmans and Abbots. So, expect lily/devon rivalry to end prematurely as soon as the new AA female arrives on the scene. 

• Members

That's why I consider Hilary such a successful character. Mishael Morgan  made TPTB move on from their search for the new Dru. Good news is that TPTB won't continue to force every AA female in Neil's bed and give her "homegirl" dialogue. Bad news is that we should expect every young AA woman to come on in the next couple of years to be written atrciously in the same mold as Hilary. 

Archived