Sign in to follow this  
j swift

Favorite Soap Opera Sets

2 hours ago, j swift said:

Here's some intell on Salem Place.  It was built on the Radford lot in Studio City, which was owned by Sony.  Then CBS executives moved from Television City (where Y&R and B&B are produced) to the Radford lot in the early 2000's.  Interestingly, this is partially due to Big Brother, the BB house was built on the Radford lot and Julie Chen's husband, Les Moonves head of CBS, built out a huge office.  Those two structures took over what was Salem Place and then Days moved off the Radford lot entirely to Burbank Studios; where Santa Barbara once filmed.  So, now Salem Place is mostly an executive parking lot.

That's what I call a crap sandwich! That was one of the best soap sets ever!

1 hour ago, titan1978 said:

One of the things I liked about the Quartermaine Mansion was it did seem big back in the day.  There was a sitting room and a living room, the foyer with the stairs.  Alan and Monica had a large bedroom (or Alan and Lucy lol).  The patio by the rose garden, the carriage house, and an entire other wing.  There was an outdoor hot tub when Brenda lived there.  When Edward was presumed dead, the main wing (west?) was being renovated, so all the action moved to the other wing for some time, with darker colors and different set configurations.

Didn't they have a kitchen too?

20 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

The Horton house ranks among the best for me because it actually seemed like a real house, especially in the early days where there was a dining room, terrace, Tom's den etc. 

The Horton House has been on the past few days — apparently Abigail and Chad now live there. Am I mistaken in remembering  that the floors have always been carpeted? They’re now wood.

Can someone correct this math if I am wrong?

I believe Liz Chandler inherited her father Kellam's mansion when her brother Todd shot him.  Liz and Neil lived there when they got married but then I recall that Victor Kiriakus bought it when Neil got into debt, Victor was funding the drugs in cassette schemes and, Liz left him.  Which means that the Kiriakus mansion was once the Chandler mansion. 

Also, a few year's earlier when the Dimera's strong armed Stuart Wyland out of Salem didn't Tony move into his house which is now the Dimera mansion?  If so, did the famous scene when Renee tells off the whole town then is murdered happen in the current Dimera mansion?  That set has been through a lot of changes including where the stairs are located.

Which means that nobody took over Bob Anderson's house which was actually the coolest house in Salem in the 1970's.

Edited by j swift

Was Bob Anderson's house the Lakehouse? 

Mickey and Maggie moved in and it stayed on screen till about 84 when Suzanne Rogers departed. 

I don't believe it was recycled.

Does anyone know where Mickey and Maggie lived when they remarried or did they become homeless?

They should have moved into the Horton home after Tom died. It was ridiculous to believe in later years that Alice was living alone in that house.

11 hours ago, j swift said:

Here's some intell on Salem Place.  It was built on the Radford lot in Studio City, which was owned by Sony.  Then CBS executives moved from Television City (where Y&R and B&B are produced) to the Radford lot in the early 2000's.  Interestingly, this is partially due to Big Brother, the BB house was built on the Radford lot and Julie Chen's husband, Les Moonves head of CBS, built out a huge office.  Those two structures took over what was Salem Place and then Days moved off the Radford lot entirely to Burbank Studios; where Santa Barbara once filmed.  So, now Salem Place is mostly an executive parking lot.

9 hours ago, SteelCity said:

That's what I call a crap sandwich! That was one of the best soap sets ever!

The last time the Salem Place set was used on the show was in 2004, the first couple of years after that when fans asked why they werent using it anymore, someone said it was a construction area. But they never said it was supposed to be gone permanently.

A couple of years ago you could still see the Salem Place set on Google maps. Here is a screencap I took back then and one today. It confirms what j swift said. That beautiful set was destroyed for parking spaces.

4X675rv.jpg

53oCGy9.jpg

11 hours ago, Gray Bunny said:

Ooh, I forgot one of my DAYS faves: The Blake house in Aremid. 

I don't know if the set was ever used before 1995, but it later became the replica house Peter built in Salem, then it was used as Craig & Nancy Wesley's home, then Maggie & Mickey's house during the Bonnie/Reilly era. I don't think they actually used it by the time Mickey died in 2010 though. 

With the Aremid house, in addition to the 2-story foyer and spacious living room, in back of the living room was a library/dining area. Plus (and I don't know how it connected), it had the huge ballroom-like area where Jennifer/Peter's wedding ceremony and reception was held, along with the spacious grounds. The room where Tony (or whoever) committed suicide had a terrace overlooking the grounds. Then, there was the other bedroom where Stefano stayed after he got hit by lightning. And of course, the various tunnels and passageways where The Lady In White lurked. 

In hindsight, the ballroom-like room is the size that all these living rooms SHOULD be for all these multi-millionaires on soaps, like the Newmans, Abbotts, Kiriakis, DiMera, Forrester, Spaulding, etc. 

It was also used as the sorority house for Chelsea, Stephanie and Morgan  in 2007-2008.

3 hours ago, j swift said:

Can someone correct this math if I am wrong?

I believe Liz Chandler inherited her father Kellam's mansion when her brother Todd shot him.  Liz and Neil lived there when they got married but then I recall that Victor Kiriakus bought it when Neil got into debt, Victor was funding the drugs in cassette schemes and, Liz left him.  Which means that the Kiriakus mansion was once the Chandler mansion. 

Also, a few year's earlier when the Dimera's strong armed Stuart Wyland out of Salem didn't Tony move into his house which is now the Dimera mansion?  If so, did the famous scene when Renee tells off the whole town then is murdered happen in the current Dimera mansion?  That set has been through a lot of changes including where the stairs are located.

Which means that nobody took over Bob Anderson's house which was actually the coolest house in Salem in the 1970's.

The DiMera Mansion in the 80s was a different mansion. The current DiMera Mansion used to be Shane Donovan's but Tony (really Andre) bought it in 1993 or 1994.

On 7/24/2018 at 9:53 PM, teplin said:

The Horton House has been on the past few days — apparently Abigail and Chad now live there. Am I mistaken in remembering  that the floors have always been carpeted? They’re now wood.

I believe they've always been carpeted. 

I haven't seen more recent episodes yet (I'm still currently watching mid-June eps!) but one thing I noticed about the Horton living room when they brought it back in 2010 is that it looks more square now. Which, from a true-life perspective makes sense, but it didn't use to be so. 

20 hours ago, Scrapple said:

Probably will be the strangest one listed here: the Mausoleum on Dark Shadows.

I also loved the Collinwood entry way and parlor.  I even liked the Evans cottage.. very bohemian, but homey.