Favorite Soap Opera Sets

• Members

I also appreciate when characters buy their homes/sets from each other,  It made sense that Bo and Hope bought Marlena's old house after living on the Fancy Face.  Hope Farm on Emmerdale has been passed from family to family as a home for the well-to-do of the town.  Most of the British soaps have established sets that new people move into when they come to town.

I'm trying to think of other characters that bought or inherited their homes from other characters.  Jennifer inherited the Horton house, Liz had the Hardy house, and Ed inherited the Bauer house.  I recall when Sonny (GH) bought Sean Donnally's (formerly Scorpio's) apartment with the secret room by the front door.  I like the detail of new characters moving into homes vacated by characters who are leaving the show.

Also, does anyone recall why Erica Kane's lavender pied a terre was called Linden House?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I recall when Billy/Nadine on GL married in 1991... Billy mentioned Josh had given them the house that he and Reva lived in before hand.  Also, Blake/Holly on GL inherited Reva's old house (called Revabend) when Reva/Josh reunited in the late 80s.

• Members

I like that too.  The Scorpio house that Mac lives in was formerly the Webber house (Rick, Lesley, etc).  There is a great scene in the attic of that house with Laura, Lucky and Robin when Luke and Laura returned in the 1990’s.  The same attic that  ushered Laura off the show about ten years later.

• Members

DAYS recycled a LOT of sets too. Shane's house circa 1991-92 became the DiMera mansion, and I'm pretty sure Kim's house from the same period that she lived in briefly before moving into Shane's became Jennifer's house, then Bo & Hope's a few years later.

As for my favourites, I always loved the Q house on GH, and the Abbott house on Y&R just always looks so lush to me, weird brown walls and all 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

The Horton house ranks among the best for me because it actually seemed like a real house, especially in the early days where there was a dining room, terrace, Tom's den etc. And the staircase was a decent size, something a lot of two story  homes on soaps don't have.

Maybe because it was designed for primetime it was more spacious and detailed. I read it was built for a Screen Gems pilot and then used for Days.

• Members

Here's some intell on Salem Place.  It was built on the Radford lot in Studio City, which was owned by Sony.  Then CBS executives moved from Television City (where Y&R and B&B are produced) to the Radford lot in the early 2000's.  Interestingly, this is partially due to Big Brother, the BB house was built on the Radford lot and Julie Chen's husband, Les Moonves head of CBS, built out a huge office.  Those two structures took over what was Salem Place and then Days moved off the Radford lot entirely to Burbank Studios; where Santa Barbara once filmed.  So, now Salem Place is mostly an executive parking lot.

• Members

Ooh, I forgot one of my DAYS faves: The Blake house in Aremid. 

I don't know if the set was ever used before 1995, but it later became the replica house Peter built in Salem, then it was used as Craig & Nancy Wesley's home, then Maggie & Mickey's house during the Bonnie/Reilly era. I don't think they actually used it by the time Mickey died in 2010 though. 

With the Aremid house, in addition to the 2-story foyer and spacious living room, in back of the living room was a library/dining area. Plus (and I don't know how it connected), it had the huge ballroom-like area where Jennifer/Peter's wedding ceremony and reception was held, along with the spacious grounds. The room where Tony (or whoever) committed suicide had a terrace overlooking the grounds. Then, there was the other bedroom where Stefano stayed after he got hit by lightning. And of course, the various tunnels and passageways where The Lady In White lurked. 

In hindsight, the ballroom-like room is the size that all these living rooms SHOULD be for all these multi-millionaires on soaps, like the Newmans, Abbotts, Kiriakis, DiMera, Forrester, Spaulding, etc. 

• Members

One of the things I liked about the Quartermaine Mansion was it did seem big back in the day.  There was a sitting room and a living room, the foyer with the stairs.  Alan and Monica had a large bedroom (or Alan and Lucy lol).  The patio by the rose garden, the carriage house, and an entire other wing.  There was an outdoor hot tub when Brenda lived there.  When Edward was presumed dead, the main wing (west?) was being renovated, so all the action moved to the other wing for some time, with darker colors and different set configurations.

Archived