Overused and Underused Character Names on Soaps

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's right - Lisa with the 'lioness hair' as I used to call her but she didn't last. It's hard to believe ATWT was #1 for 20 seasons and Eileen Fulton was the face/driver of a lot of that success, which would make other shows - especially the P&G ones - steer away from Lisa. 

@kalbir I never picked up on "Abby" as "Abbott" before, but now it makes sense. It's ironic considering Ashley knew her bio origins. 

• Members

Some names I'd expect to be used a lot because they are popular for babies. Michael was one of the top in the US for guys for decades. I wonder how soap names compare to real life naming trends, (years ago there was an article --maybe it was TVGuide about television and naming trends. There was a mention about how the name Alan-Michael became an actual name for boys, and that it was the only hyphenated male name with some popularity...) 

• Members

When Dark Shadows was in the development stage... Victoria Winters originally name was going to be Sheila March... but it was changed because the creators thought it sounded too modern and they wanted something more regal/old fashion.... so they decided on Victoria Winters (Vicki for modern day use and Victoria for travels to the past).

• Members

It's actually a very common theme on Y&R, B&B, and other soaps to do that. I was almost surprised when Ridge and Brooke had their son RJ together they didn't name him Logan Forrester(Bridget would later use the name for her son). 

One common name for girls that I've rarely seen on soaps that I know of is Melissa. Other than Melissa Horton on Days I can't think of any off the top of my head. Dustin is an underused name for male characters, as I can only think of Dusty on ATWT. 

The John Abbott and John Silva situation was interesting but actually very realistic to real life. I remember one class I had in middle school three kids (1 boy, two girls) all went by Alex. 

Edited by soapfan770