Best Soap Opera Opening

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

One last Perry King mention: For the two other people in this world that remember, he was in a short-lived sitcom in 1993 on NBC called "Almost Home." It was actually a revamped version of The Torkildsens (remember that one?) where the mom and her 3 kids (2 of them from the original mysteriously disappeared) moved in with a single dad and his two kids (one of them being Brittany Murphy, RIP). On one episode I used to have on tape, Dorothy-Jane tutors and nearly falls for the school jock, played by Ben Affleck. 

Bringing this back to Titans: I would've rather had Perry King last the first year than what actually happened - they brought on Jack Wagner, fresh from Melrose, to help boost interest. To me, I was already tired of him, and this was long before his Nick Marone/B&B days. 

• Members

The Disney channel reran the Torklesons and Almost Home all the time years after it was on, which is why I didn't forget it. I never watched Titans, but the opening is so of its era, so that was a good share.

• Members

Back to the topic of opening themes...

What are people's opinions on these two versions of GL's 80's "My Guiding Light" theme?  Please correct my errors on dates, but I think the first one aired sometime 1985-1986, and the second one is 1989-1991. I actually really like the last one. The original one (1983-1985) is slow, sweeping and dramatic. The one around 1987-1989 is sooooo über 80's. The last one from '89 to '91 is more modern and sounds strong. But I've never really heard feedback about the '85-'86 version. 

Closing: 

• Members

I love that last version of My Guiding Light, and yes, it's a lot better than the teeny bopper let's go have a soda at the Tastee Freeze version that came before it. The countermelody that comes out in the long closing version sounds so majestic and pretty. I used to hate that all it really did was change key over and over again, but it works in a way. You don't need more than that melody.

The 1985 version seems like a preview of what would come later. I can't believe they passed on that for the Tiffany/mall concert version.

What about the two specialty arrangements that were used sporadically in the mid 80s. I can't look up clips at the moment, but one is usually called the "melancholy" theme because of the minor chords and dramatic tone. There's another that's pretty upbeat and dancey. They were both used over clips from the episode instead of the standard gold background.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Can we admit Big Little Lies is a soap, especially since it’s coming back for a second season? (Mal Young’s clearly a big fan.) I really loved the opening, with Michael Kiwanuka’s “Cold Little Heart” as the theme and the little diva pose-off at the end: