Y&R July 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Didn’t someone here suggest it was Phyllis getting back at Victor for Marco? Using the knowledge she had of the murder? Screwing with her ex-nemesis Sharon? Exploiting Nick’s hate of his father? Throwing a wrench into her relationship with Summer? EDIT: Hiring a JT lookalike, which would have a nice symmetry with Victor’s Marco scheme? That could have been brilliant actually. Written correctly, of course, with many of the details changed and the reveal delayed for maximum tension and impact. And it could have been a way to separate Nick from his father and the Newmans that was organic.  It still would have been a surprise given how far Phyllis had *supposedly* come from her most psycho, Machiavellian years, and GT would have rocked it, giving her a purpose other than Billy’s plaything and messy town gossip.

I don’t know. Just Sunday morning spitballing.

• Members

+100

Perspectively, this wouldn't work even if Mal used another character like Adam.  That's one helluva mask!

Besides, what's Nick's motivation?  He's gotten custody of Tumeric's spawn.  TGVN is apparently having health problems.  He has no stake in Newman Enterprises and he seems happy with Sharon.  🤔

• Members

Hell, even revealing that J.T. had a long-lost twin who was out to avenge his bro's murder would have been more logical.  And since Thad Luckinbill has a twin brother IRL, he wouldn't have had to return again for those scenes either.  Just hire Trent Luckinbill, write up an article in SOD where Trent and Thad interview each other about the craziness of one twin being hired to impersonate the other twin on a soap opera in the name of avenging the first twin's character's death, and be done with it.

I realize Mal thinks it would be awesome to see Nick journey to the "dark side" and become more Victor-like.  Trust me, though, it wouldn't.  Morrow doesn't have the acting chops.

• Members

Agree.

The only legit reason I could accept (and that's if we had an actor who could play this turn in character convincingly) is if one of Victor's schemes were to result in the death of Victoria or Nikki.

• Members

Didn't watch......so are you all telling me it was Nick in a mask pretending to be JT? He has been scaring his mother, wife. sister and ex-wife? He isn't JT size or built..height.....if this doesn't get Mal fired nothing will. This is just stupid beyond words......this takes the cake!

• Members

Depending on the wider feedback, ratings, and the views of the higher ups, it may not be THE jump-the-shark moment (I mean, take your pick from the last 12 years or so) but it may well be the moment those up top take a look and think “are you sure?”... 

• Members

Mariah and Tessa will work.  Now that Hilary is leaving please find others (not Kyle and Summer) to dump Mariah on.  Please keep the bully or poor thing can't find love or whoever she is now away from characters I like. 

• Members

That’s very kind to say, though I’m not sure how much I can offer other than my opinion 🙈😂

My opinion, though, is that Mal is a square peg in a round hole. There’s obviously something to him otherwise he wouldn’t have over 35 years in soaps and drama (and across several continents) but when you’re dealing with a show that (at least at one point) had such a unique, defined identity, it doesn’t often work to try take a surgeon’s apparatus to it.

That applies to Lyn Marie Latham trying to model it on Knots Landing or any prime time soap.

To Maria Arena Bell modelling the shows style and casting policy on ABC.

To Jill Farren Phelps who took a rusty hammer to the show’s production and sound. I say hammer because it was useful for a while on Guiding Light nearly 30 years ago and complimented by some very good writers.

To Charles Pratt Jr who took what did NOT work in that year he wrote for All My Children and did the exact same thing.

To Mal Young now and primarily the highers up at both Sony and CBS who are complicit in this 12 year move to fundamentally change the fabric of the show. 

It’s like state-sponsored criminality.

I’ll never completely leave the show but at the moment, I dip in and out when something looks like it could be interesting. And whatever was said regarding the period Sally Sussman and Kay Alden wrote the show, I found there was something that kept me coming back.

Archived