Y&R July 2018 Discussion Thread

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Always good to have Jess back.

However, I feel Jill came on too angry initially in that confrontation with Jack and Kyle. Yes, she was upset and rightly so, but too often Jill is presented as this irrationalangry woman needing to be taken down a few pegs.

Then, in Mal's usual manner, they rushed through all the beats.By the end of the scene,Jill had changed her tune by Jack talking about her discovering Neil was her father.

This could have been several eps worth of story.

Jill talking to Esther, the confontation with Jack, maybe a chat with Lauren, Jack telling Ashley about Jill's behaviour etc

so that them coming to some sort of peace would have more weight.

And again we had Hilary being awful to Nate and coming of the worse for it.

And 75 yr old Victor, still recovering from a beating goes alone off to a meeting with the man who tried to kill him....

• Members

As a rabid 90's Y&R watcher, and now occasional reader of SOD recaps, I find it hard to distinguish between Noah/Kyle and Abby/Summer.  These roles have been recast, run out of town and then returned so often that I have a hard time keeping track of their backstory/parentage.  Also, none of the characters has any distinguishing trait or specialization which enables them to be so interchangeable.  Ashley was always a chemist, Niki was a model, and Jill ran the men's division.  I have no idea what special skills the third generation of characters bring to the table?    

• Members

Mariah has plenty of what?  Remember her stalking Tyler?  When has anyone really wanted Mariah?  But what's really shocking to me is MY wrote that dialog for CG to say to both Kyle and Summer. OUCH!  If I was CG, I'd be looking for another job. DAMN!

• Members

I still think Mariah/Kyle could work - they actually have unforced chemistry. Plus Mariah/Snowflake scenes are always entertaining. I think that's the only time I actually like HK! 

As far as the outrage over Monday (US) reveal. Please. This is a show that had Brad in cage, Tyrone as a white man, carved "Killer" on David's head, PIII fake his death for 20+ yrs/ship his blood from Down Under,  and doppelgangers running around town during past 25+ years (Kay, John, Jack, Patty, Phyllis, Lauren, etc.)

While the method on the reveal is weak, the scenes that follow sound good enough to make me tune in again. That's two straight days! I know it won't last. 

• Members

LOL you haven't posted in months and you come back with your same CG hate you had back in the day.  Broken record, meet Celine.

I'm surprised you didn't throw in an arbitrary stab at SC.

Apples to oranges.  This is far and away OOC and the stories you site as an excuse to support it were badly written retcons and lookalikes that have nothing to do with characterization. 

It's not good.  It's not interesting.  It's a hack job.

• Members

+1

Sigh.

Can we please stop using stories we've likely never seen to justify current crap writing? Pretty please? OK.

Brad in a cage gets constantly thrown around (just like Victor and the rats), like Bell didn't take the time to set up the story logically and quite realistically, addressing many details of how this came about, even if it was a bit extreme. Are we going to pretend there aren't countless victims of kidnapping in real life thrown into cages? (Perhaps not as nice ones, granted). 

"Killer" was a great twist resulting from years of really well-written soap.

Marge was a fun story, wonderfully acted, and again, carefully plotted.

The stories were outlandish, but the audiences accepted, even loved them, because they made sense in the world of the show.

The rest was utter crap.

A mask that not only slips on and completely responds to all facial movements, it's undetectable, and makes you have that person's height and voice too? Does it change your genitals as well, I wonder? It's not even remotely plausible.

And having Nick do that?

The presence of previous OTT stories or twists does not justify further character assassination.

• Members

The Nick of it all is the major issue.  This just isn’t Nick at all, and they haven’t spent time building him to the extreme action.  

While still not a good storytelling fit for Y&R, if it was Adam it would make some semblance of sense.  If it was Phyllis, at least we know she will go to extremes.  But Nick?  No.

Brad in a cage, Victor feeding Michael rats, Sheila faking her death then going to B&B, Marge, Phyllis’s many antics, David Kimble with a wig on, Nikki’s murderous maid, Michael tunneling to Cricket’s apartment...all outlandish, soapy tales but told in a slow, methodical manner that made sense in the world they were in.  And Brad in a cage was crazy, but not Nick wearing a JT mask crazy.  This isn’t Faison.

And I loved Faison in a mask, and The Roman killer mask story on DAYS.  I’ve got not problem with some trashy soap fun.  But it fits in with years of storytelling in those shows. Here it doesn’t seem

fun, it seems sad.

Archived