Days actor exit!

• Members

I *think* he stops appearing around September. But I haven't kept up that well. He hasn't taped in many months. Probably since early spring. I want to say around March. But I don't know actual dates, just guessing.

As to the rest of the discussion, I don't fault him for negotiating. But this isn't 10 years ago. It's not even 5 years ago. I do think they lowball the actors.

I'm torn on the Nichols situation. I'm not saying he should have just sucked it up, but if he really wants to be there, accept you are supporting and wait. Eric and Jennifer are barely on-screen but Jack and Nicole are coming back. Ron circles back around. I don't love that type of storytelling but it is what it is.

Nichols needs to realize this isn't the 90s or even the 2000s. Most actors are grateful to even be recurring! Again, I'm not saying he should 'be grateful' or accept a bad deal, but he wants to be there, the show wants him (to some degree) ...

Sorry Stephen but they aren't going to be begging you to come back. I don't know what happened but this seems like a sad case of push and pull and neither wanting to cave. The show can move on.

I think it sucks we have to once again have a Steve is gone situation. I'm tired of these situations with Bo, Steve, Jack, etc.

To be fair, Nichols was hardly getting the airtime LaLucci once got. He was already pretty non-existent on-screen. I don't know how much more they could have decreased his airtime! LOL. I feel bad for him on one hand, on the other hand, I don't. I'm torn on this one.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Really? It seems to me all they do is extend their bad storylines. Granted, they haven't had a good storyline to extend for years and years so maybe that's why Brad Bell has become a little confused and continously extends his bad ones.....  

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Exactly. 

Not to mention, the "outcry" here over his departure was minimal. Not even two pages until we got word of the 30% cut. It's not 1985 or 1995 or even 2005.  The money ain't there anymore, and he's not thirtysomething. 

If you need the money, swallow your pride and save up your coins. Why do you think Deidre Hall and Kristian Alfonso are still around? 

• Members

That's all I'm saying.  We are living in different times in regards to soaps, so if you have no other offers, almost 70 but still offered a contract, you take it!  He will be working less but still earning money.  Not only did he agree to sign last minute, but he agreed to sign last minute plus 2 months!  

• Members

If SN had said I want to regoniate and I am willing to recur til contracts are worked out than Days may have been ok with him accepting it in May cause they wouldnt have had to write him off in the first place

• Members

Even though they aren't leading story, I have to say this regime has written some nice moments for Kayla (she got her POV back!) and Steve. I'm going to moreso credit Sheri for that and for some of John/Marlena, just because it seems more her than him.

MBE re-signed (so has Sal Stowers). She's been there before. She knows recurring. She knows contract. She wants to be there.

• Members

He has been acting like his appeal is close to his 1989 self since he was on GH.  I’m not saying he isn’t talented.  He is.  He has also been important to the show.  But he is very particular in a genre that doesn’t have time for it anymore, and he wants to be paid like he is drawing the kinds of numbers that he used to.

I don’t work there, and I can clearly see the signs of a show that is filming so far in advance to keep it’s very existence going that they don’t have time for his [!@#$%^&*], why can’t he?  The only returning people Ken is going to find more money for are Allison Sweeney and James Scott and maybe Eileen Davidson.  Period.  If they signed contracts, they would be close to their old guarantees even if the salary is somewhat adjusted for today.  Nobody else.

• Members

Yeah. For many years MBE refused to return to DAYS for guest appearances or recurring stints like Patsy Pease used to do in the 90s and early 00s when the show wanted Kayla and Kim in town for Brady family drama. MBE didn't return to DAYS until she got a contract in 2006. It wasn't until after she and SN were fired (with no on-screen exit) in 2009 that she accepted going back in recurring capacity. Maybe the cancellation of ATWT played into that. She probably realized the soap world was changing and you take what you can get.

• Members

Exactly. I think you're right in that she realized the soap world was changing and you take what you can get. I actually never faulted her for not wanting to do guest appearances, as much as I wanted her to. But I wish she had returned a lot sooner than 2006, but is what it is, lol.

Wow that's soon. I figured at least sometime in September. 

Archived