Major Y&R actress out!

• Members

LOL! Tracy Melchior was so tacky with that but I did like her as Kelly in OLTL. It was an awkward situation bc Heather Tom was so good I can’t be mad at them but she was better than Tognoni when she returned and no longer seemed to fit the role. With that said, NO to her as Ashley. If anything bring back Brenda. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

well, I still think in the end he'll be an Abbott....if the family is still on the show. but I honestly don;t blame him for being pissed off. over 30 years of a father/son relationship thrown out the window for hotshot writing. bet that's why MY stopped answering Twitter messages....he's getting his ass ripped out over the writing and pacing of this show.

• Members

Eileen Davidson is one of the greatest actors in the history of daytime, and I love watching her. No one came close to her portrayal of Ashley. 

This is a huge blow to the show, especially with MiM leaving. What a disaster.

Someone commented that these “big name” actors aren’t as important any longer. Tell you what: you’ll find out how important they are when they’re gone. Ratings are down and falling. Does anyone think ratings go up when two leading ladies are gone???

• Members

All of this comes back to the fact that ad revenues are drying up. Even revenue from abroad (France recently moved Y&R from a prime lunchtime post-news slot to mid-morning) is lower.

TBH it is ridiculous to pretend that we still have one-worker households where housewives are at home from 12.30-4pm catching up over 'their stories' while doing the ironing. We are dealing with two-worker homes now. Other countries have cottoned onto this: the UK, for example, puts its Aussie soaps on at the lunch hour for the students and then repeats them around 5pm. UK soaps take over a pre-Primetime 6.30-8.30pm slot. Even then, time-slots are no guarantee, and UK ratings are down. People just do not watch TV the same way anymore. And in the US, networks have sold those slots to the affiliates and therefore cannot dictate when their soaps can be shown.

So US "Daytime" as it stands must decide whether to keep its soaps. The other problem, of course, is that these shows have ceased to be relevant to either its target demographic or new younger viewers. They've lost the retro attraction of their 90s heyday, and they've turned these shows into a millennial-babyboomer mish-mash which appeals to neither group. Any big-issue SLs other than the ubiquitous baby-switch have to be watered down because of the time slot and increasingly conservative affiliates.

I'm sorry to sound so pessimistic, but MM and ED leaving with more likely to follow feels like a death-knell as far as Y&R is concerned. A slow death-knell, of course. Without Y&R to prop it up, B&B is dead in the water too. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Yeah, I thought maybe the network daytime soaps would just continue to putter along while TPTB mined these shows for more and more scrap metal, especially since there hasn’t been much buzz about replacing them. But it feels like someone jammed their foot into the accelerator this week, barreling towards the cliff. And @Cat, that millennial/boomer mishmash comment is so on point. Every single show is doing that right now.

• Members

You know what I mean? None of The Big Chill-style, self-reflective boomer dialogue of 1980s soaps! None of the succinct millennial references that get right to the heart of things in 20 words or less! Instead, Verbose Dialogue shagged Generic, Snappy Lines from 2007, and this is the resulting baby.

A lot of Y&R dialogue is needlessly expository and empty -- especially noticeable when Jack mansplains something. Then we get Hillary/Phyllis/Abby dropping "across our social media platforms" phraseology. 

Please register in order to view this content

Lord. Millennials aren't going to get excited just because you name-checked Twitter! 

• Members

Well said. This seems like a case of deja-vu. The dominoes are starting to fall.

Eileen is brilliant, just freaking brilliant. I've always admired the charisma and strength she brings to Ashley. I think back to when Ashley was sick, and she made a video for Abby, in case she passed away and didn't see Abby grow up. I remember sobbing during those scenes. And then the Faith paternity reveal. 

At this point, I want to just shrug my shoulders, but this is just a sign of things to come.

Archived