Sign in to follow this  
Faulkner

Tab Hunter, Anthony Perkins Love Story To Become Film

From producers Zachary Quinto and J.J. Abrams (via THR). I always thought this would be a great film. Casting suggestions?

The true story of the secret love affair between two of the most popular leading men of Hollywood's Golden Age is heading to the big screen.

The true story of the secret love affair between two of the most popular leading men of Hollywood's Golden Age, Tab Hunter and Anthony Perkins, is heading to the big screen thanks to Zachary Quinto and J.J. Abrams.

Titled Tab & Tony, the Paramount drama is based on Hunter’s first-person account of his struggle to come to terms with his sexual orientation in 1950s Hollywood, an era in which being openly gay was taboo.

JJ Abrams? Ew. Why? If he's involved it can't be good.

Perkins' life was a mess. How far are they going to go?

26 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

JJ Abrams? Ew. Why? If he's involved it can't be good.

Perkins' life was a mess. How far are they going to go?

I think it’s just going to cover the ‘50s. It’s based on Tab’s memoir, and Tab’s partner Allan Glaser is also a producer. I watched Tab’s documentary on Netflix, and there was an interesting story about Anthony stealing a role (in “Fear Strikes Out”) from Tab while they were still in a relationship.

Edited by Faulkner

21 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

I think it’s just going to cover the ‘50s. It’s based on Tab’s memoir, and Tab’s partner Allan Glaser is also a producer. I watched Tab’s documentary on Netflix, and there was an interesting story about Anthony stealing a role (in “Fear Strikes Out”) from Tab while they were still in a relationship.

I always thought that was an odd role for Perkins. Now it makes sense.

3 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

I always thought that was an odd role for Perkins. Now it makes sense.

I’d never seen it. I suppose Tab would make more sense as a star athlete, but I figured Anthony would be good at the mental unraveling part.

17 hours ago, John said:

Quinto As Perkins. No Way that doesnt fit

He doesn't fit the role on any level. Plus his too old. Tab & Tony were in there 20's when they were a couple.  Done right this could be interesting to watch. But they are going to screw it up. 

Edited by victoria foxton

Anthony Perkins was also in a relationship with Stephen Sondheim.  They planned luxury scavenger hunts for their friends in New York with limousines to whisk teams around town.  These games became the basis for their only screenplay together, The Last of Sheila.  It's a great early 70's roman a clef/mystery/drama/comedy, highly recommended.  Perkins was later a client of psychiatrist Eugene Landy who is accused of messing up Brian Williams from the Beach Boys as dramatized in the great movie Grace of My Heart.  So, a lot of this material has been already been rich fodder for film/  

On 7/10/2018 at 7:25 PM, ChitHappens said:

Sadly, no one is aiming higher than Quinto. Hard pass!!!!!!!

19 hours ago, John said:

Quinto As Perkins. No Way that doesnt fit

18 hours ago, victoria foxton said:

He doesn't fit the role on any level. Plus his too old. Tab & Tony were in there 20's when they were a couple.  Done right this could be interesting to watch. But they are going to screw it up. 

Wait, did they announce ZQ as playing Perkins? According to the article I posted he’s just producing, and they are searching for actors to play the parts, unless there’s been an update I missed. I agree he’d be miscast if he played Perkins himself.