Y&R June 2018 Discussion Thread

• Members

Agreed about Joshua Morrow!  I think I read he doesn't care about winning an Emmy, at this point, he just does his lines.  But he delivered IT.  I think Sharon Case has potential too, given the right material.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If anything Hilary and Devon are on equal terms, neither one of them is truly the onus of the story, they sort of trade off.

Seriously, I can't remember the last time a woman was centered in a storyline. 

Even in Victoria's BLL knockoff, the confrontation between JT and Victor was at the center of it.  JT's quest to bring down Newman, the fact that he had to embed himself (literally getting into bed with) the Newmans to do it and the enmity between he and Victor that showed itself in a battle royale (of sorts) was the true driver of that story.

Victoria's DV story was promoted as an A story but it was truly a B story at best.

Ashley's public paternity reveal had as much or more to do with Graham (a temporary character) and his antagonistic rivalry with Ashley (and to some extent Jack) as anyone else.  You take Graham out of that story and the story has no movement.

Even Dina's Alzheimer story is more about Jack and his management of the disease as a caretaker than it is about Dina.

We know that

Please register in order to view this content

TPTB will likely try to find a way to make try to find a way to make it more about 

We already know that it's Nick vs. Victor with Sharon as a prop.

• Members

The speech/pep talk Mariah gave Sharon today was special. It reminded me of the Y&R of old. It's a bummer that's all Mariah is lately -- everyone's sounding board. But, the growth of their mother-daughter relationship is lovely.

Yay for an Esther sighting, even if it was for just a moment. 

• Members

Agree with @GMac, Hilary one of two women that is leading story. Everything happening with her and Devon is told from her POV.  He's definitely supporting her. 

Summer and Phyllis seems to be told from their POV but I can see it shifting to being a story centering and about Billy. 

We all know that this "Jack is a Chancellor right now" story is to give Cane ,with lily and neil as supporting, a story. It's been months since he's had one. Jill will be secondary to Cane and Billy in this story. 

Abby is centered in her story with Arturo. She gets story after story but does anyone even care. It's so easy to overlook. 

Who told Mal that Nick could be the lead story and be the center of the show? It's not the the 2000's anymore. He just isn't the lead he used to be. And while Sharon has FINALLY grown on me, Nick and Sharon's romance doesn't pack the punch it once did. I just think there are too many miles on them to be the show's signature couple. Anyways, Sharon is supporting to nick and victor. 

Victoria has disappeared. 

Lily never gets story. Cane gets every one. 

Mariah is just there to be everyone's friend. And Sharon's support. 

Did I miss anyone? 

• Members

Summer and Phyllis will ultimately be about Billy.

Arturo and Abby will be about Victor.

Neither one of these stories are viable A stories, they are C stories, at best.

From a writer's perspective--with the exception of Hilary, all of the banner stories (the A stories that top the promos) are centered around male characters.

• Members

Agreed. 

I can already tell summer and Phyllis will be about Billy. 

I'm thinking Arturo and Abby might be another mother/daughter triangle as opposed to being so much about victor. 

Definitely think Hilary and Abby's story are C stories though. 

• Members

I think I'm going to be taking a break from the show if/when that happens because I'm so bored by that angle, especially if it's Abby and Ashley again.

Hilary and Abby's stories are definitely C stories.  

It's not a complex equation to see why Y&R struggles in certain demos.

Archived